Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Gen Stats Aggressiveness %
(02-25-2021, 03:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t want this to turn into a debate about the OL. We all know it needs to be addressed. How and when we do it seems to be where people have different opinions, but that’s ok. The point of this thread is simply to say that while I do agree we have 2 really good WR’s, we should not feel comfortable at the position. Especially with a coach that runs 11 personnel, and as of now we don’t even have a 3rd quality starter.

Whether it’s taking one of the top playmakers at #5, or bringing in a FA WR (no bargain bin players please), we really do need to give Burrow another weapon. This notion that he’s so elite he doesn’t need it is just not founded in reality. Burrow’s LSU offense was absolutely stacked during their historic season. Two 1st round WR’s in Jefferson and Chase, and possibly a third in Marshall (maybe 2nd round). He had great weapons. His OL was good (they won the Joe Moore award), but I don’t think they even had a 1st rounder out of the group iirc. It was mostly Burrow and those WR’s.

Are these stats the results of the WR's not being open or are they the results of bad play calling or the results of bad O-line play forcing an early throw?

My guess would be that Burrow's stat being so high is a combination of those three factors together. At times, a lack of separation, certainly a lack of play calling to isolate WRs with rub routes and picks, and then the elephant in the room, the shit OL, when pressure comes, you throw the ball to avoid the sack and that means throwing before the WR is open.

I don't think you can use that stat and simply go.. oh it's terrible we need new WRs. I think you look at it and go, what is happening in the offense that allows our guys to always be covered? Lack of creative play calling would be high on the list. The fact that teams can get home with 4 guys is also high on the list. Bad WR play...not as high.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Gen Stats Aggressiveness % - Murdock2420 - 02-25-2021, 11:36 AM
RE: Next Gen Stats Aggressiveness % - J24 - 02-25-2021, 06:41 PM