Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?
I had a lot of optimism heading into last year. My optimism was affirmed by the first team O and the D throughout preseason and much of the first half of the opening game against the Ravens. Then Eifert got hurt. We still did ok, but our early schedule was easy. Atlanta and Tennessee, I think. We got exposed in New England in Prime Time. We didn't start doing better until J. Hill started getting more carries. Losing Andre Smith didn't help things. Then AJ was either out or not 100%. We struggle, but managed to earn a playoff spot.

Eifert, MLJ, Andre, and hopefully Burfict will all be back. Let's hope they stay back. Winning a Super Bowl depends on a lot of things. Staying healthy (enough) is near the top of that list of things.

But too be perfectly honest with you, I don't think it's optimism that you're really talking about. It's closer to agreeing to be what Slavoj Zizek describes as a moron, a person who is blind to his own allegiance to some "Big Other." In our case (my case anyway), the Bengals are my Big Other. I am a total moron for them. I even allow myself to get so caught up in my fandom that I cheer and scream at the television. I spend money to buy jerseys, and hats, and jackets to wear to display my stupidity (loyalty) to the Bengals. I assume that I'm not alone in this behavior. And it's perfectly ok. It's basically harmless to have one part of your life reserved for pure stupidity. And I don't say this to be insulting. If I am, I am also insulting myself.

Winning a Super Bowl is like the orgasm we hope to experience. Either way, we're wanking. And we'll wank until we cum – or not. But the Super Bowl is the big pay off, and also an exoneration for all of those years we've gone frustrated - limp, especially in the eyes of the fans of our enemies.

So, Blitzy, none of this is rational, except for the analysis part, and from an analytical point of view, I am with you in terms of questioning Andy Dalton and Marvin. But I don't let my doubts become cynicism.

By the way, I think these Boards are beginning to feel just like home. WHO DEY!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years? - BURROWorBUST - 05-21-2015, 01:38 AM