Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?
(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  People don't like excuses and I thought the San Diego letdown was a huge one (playoffs 2014), but injuries killed them last year.  

They won regular season games with Sanu/Tate/Sanzenbacher as the receivers. I understand there were a few other injuries along the way, but it was definitely a disappointment that they didn't even look competitive in the playoff game. I didn't expect a win, but I also didn't want to see them looking like they weren't even trying either.

(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really wanted a burner WR to "take the top off the defense". I would be surprised if Alford is that guy, but I won't count him out just because he is short. He does have decent arm length and blazing speed. Regardless, they addressed serious depth issues at the TE, offensive line, LB, and DT/DE in the offseason. Injuries will happen, but they are better prepared to deal with them heading in to this year.

They signed Denarius Moore at WR. I don't know how amazing of a signing that will end up being, but it addressed their need to take the top off the defense.

(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I also am a believer in Dalton. That will bring ridicule, but the guy has averaged 10 wins a year with a thin roster and no running game to speak of (until the second half of last year). I think he has, by far, the best roster he has ever had to work with and the defense made some solid, veteran signings (MJ, Sims, Hawk). The fact that there are so many players in their contract year doesn't hurt, either.

The Bengals averaged 10 wins, not Andy. Let's not forget that this is the ultimate team game that we're talking about here.

I can agree with a less than stellar running game for the first couple of years, but this team had a top 10 or even top 5 defense for Andy's first 3 years. The Bengals have also been well known to having one of the best offensive lines in the game in recent memory. They didn't have a lot of injuries in these years and they still had a top of the line defense and o-line play, so I don't know how you can complain about a "thin roster".

I'm a believer in Andy for 2015, I think he'll have a fine year, but I'm not going to make up lies about our team over the past 4 years. You can't have All-Pros at every position, but the Bengals have done a damn good job at putting together a solid roster from 2011-present time. They may have been a bit overrated in Jungle Noise over the years, but that's just homers being homers. I'm not saying it's a good team to ridicule Andy, I just refuse to say that we have a mediocre or worse team just to make Andy seem like he came in here and has been the entire reason the team has won so many games. I'll give the defense and superb ST unit a good amount of the credit for the team's accomplishments, but Andy, AJ, and company have done their part as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years? - djs7685 - 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM