Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Make Your 2021 Early Season Predictions
(05-20-2021, 01:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never take a HC firing for granted.

After going 11-5 in 2005, the team got progressively worse for 3 straight seasons, culminating with a disastrous 2008 season. We started 1-11-1. Most teams would've fired Marvin right there. Instead he wins 3 straight at the end and we use that as an excuse to bring him back.

In 2010, we lost a whopping 10 straight, despite Super Bowl level expectations. Every team but the Bengals fires Marv here as well.

2015 playoff meltdown brought Merv's playoff record to 0-7, and it was such an embarrassing loss of composure on a national stage. Again, 99% of teams fire Marv here. I'm pretty sure no coach has ever stayed in one spot as long as Marv without a playoff win.

We kept Shula around so long that he was able to set the record for "fastest to 50 losses". A record that will never be broken, unless by Taylor.

After a 7-2 record as interim coach (following Shula), Coslet went 14-37 over the next 3+ seasons, and still wasn't fired. He resigned out of embarrassment after being outscored 74-7 in the first 3 weeks. The Bengals were going to keep the guy after that. Mellow

Pleas stop with this "every other team" BS.  

There have been lots of team who did not fire their coach after a winning just 19 games over three seasons.  Especially when the "disastrous" third season was without their Pro Bowl QB.

Not every team would fire their coach for a losing record the year after we was selected "NFL Coach of the Year".

Not every team would fire their head coach after the best season they had had in 35 years just because they lost a playoff game in the last seconds with their back up QB.

So feel free to give your opinion, but stop acting like every other team in the league would agree with you.

BTW I have to point out that if you had been running the Bengals you would have fired Sam Wyche for only winning 4 games in 1987 dropping his record to 29-34 with zero playoff appearances.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Make Your 2021 Early Season Predictions - fredtoast - 05-20-2021, 02:28 AM