Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Make Your 2021 Early Season Predictions
(05-20-2021, 10:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote:
after 2010 we did let marvin go
... then brought him back due to the lockout and a new coach would not have time with the players...

This isn't true at all.

There were rumors towards the end of the season that Marvin didn't want to sign a new contract without concessions being made.  A lot of people thought he was going to walk away, not necessarily the Bengals walk away from him.

Fwiw, for anyone that considers me negative that very offseason has a ton to do with it.  That infamaous press conference is burned into my brain.  I remember watching it live and being absolutely disgusted with the way it was handled.

It was chalk full of gems.  I'm going to paraphrase a lot of this, but off the top of my head here were some of the highlights:

-"Marvin is keen on a practice facility and maybe me but not as much...." (Mike on practice facility)

-"With technology today you can get ahold of anyone at anytime." (Mike on scouting, apprarantly describing a cell phone of email)

-"You can keep asking the same questions and you'll get the same answer." (Mike being defensive and the end of Brad Johanson's career with the Bengals)

-"We think we do a pretty good job with scouting.  We don't apologize for that.  We're 10th in the league in players drafted who are still in the team."  (Mike making a coorelation between his team keeping shitty players and drafting well)

Later in the offseason came the Palmer stuff, the late firing of Bratkowski, the news that Lewis didn't have control over what players were active or inactive for gamedays, ect. etc. etc.  It was like a months long shitshow.

I just looked it up, that press conference was on January 5th, and the season ended on the 2nd.  You can read about it here:  https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/1/5/1916318/mike-brown-press-conference-with-marvin-lewis-didnt-win-any-fans

Anyways, we never got rid of Marvin.  I think what you may be confusing is that after the fact a few people made the excuse that it wouldn't have been a good time to move on because of the impending lockout

Messages In This Thread
RE: Make Your 2021 Early Season Predictions - Wes Mantooth - 05-22-2021, 10:15 AM