Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor interview on new Peter Schrager/Todd McVay podcast “Flying Coach”
Going to check this out today on my drive

https://twitter.com/pschrags/status/1402373150998937606?s=21

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0gI8ih2FHTjIYzUsXNWILL?si=qRpvZp4dT3C5EygpN8bTDA&dl_branch=1

“ Putting final touches on Ep 4 of “Flying Coach” with my co-host Sean McVay.

This week’s guest: Zac Taylor.

@Bengals fans, Ep 4 drops tomorrow.

Zac is beyond sharp, has great stories, and will have you ready to run through a wall.

Subscribe here: open.spotify.com/show/3yiVBSbk0…”
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 07:42 AM)LebanonFan Wrote: Going to check this out today on my drive

https://twitter.com/pschrags/status/1402373150998937606?s=21

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0gI8ih2FHTjIYzUsXNWILL?si=qRpvZp4dT3C5EygpN8bTDA&dl_branch=1

“ Putting final touches on Ep 4 of “Flying Coach” with my co-host Sean McVay.

This week’s guest: Zac Taylor.

@Bengals fans, Ep 4 drops tomorrow.

Zac is beyond sharp, has great stories, and will have you ready to run through a wall.

Subscribe here: open.spotify.com/show/3yiVBSbk0…”

He definitely gets Joe Mixon to run into a wall.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 09:31 PM)jason Wrote: He definitely gets Joe Mixon to run into a wall.

That's why Mixon only played in 6 games last year....he ran into that damn wall  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one that thinks it absolutely ridiculous that Sean McVay has a podcast?

Apparently it's season 2 of this thing: https://open.spotify.com/show/3yiVBSbk0CperZN9ZhsbEw  

Also, he does this radio show as well (look at how many episodes they're are):  http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/17556757

Look, I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy old man, but I really find the optics of this to be bad.  If I were a Rams fan I'd probably be a little pissed.  The guy is rumored to be getting paid over 4 million a year.  And we've always heard coaches spend like 80 hours a week at the office.  Yet this guy has time to co-host his own podcast, and do a weekly radio show?

I don't mind coaches going on a podcast (like Taylor did here) but having their own is another story.  And the very least he could do is keep it to football only, so it looks like maybe he's learning something.  But this dude is intervieiwing the likes of Cory Booker, Bill Murray, the Author of Moneyball, and Doc Rivers.  Like, what exactly are you even doing here?  Don't you have some work you could be doing?

PS Now is the time you can call me a boomer.  I'm ok with that in this case.  If I'm an old man because I wouldn't want my football coach taking over an hour out his work week to interview Cory Booker or Scott Boras then I'll accept that term proudly. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 10:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks it absolutely ridiculous that Sean McVay has a podcast?

Apparently it's season 2 of this thing: https://open.spotify.com/show/3yiVBSbk0CperZN9ZhsbEw  

Also, he does this radio show as well (look at how many episodes they're are):  http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/17556757

Look, I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy old man, but I really find the optics of this to be bad.  If I were a Rams fan I'd probably be a little pissed.  The guy is rumored to be getting paid over 4 million a year.  And we've always heard coaches spend like 80 hours a week at the office.  Yet this guy has time to co-host his own podcast, and do a weekly radio show?

I don't mind coaches going on a podcast (like Taylor did here) but having their own is another story.  And the very least he could do is keep it to football only, so it looks like maybe he's learning something.  But this dude is intervieiwing the likes of Cory Booker, Bill Murray, the Author of Moneyball, and Doc Rivers.  Like, what exactly are you even doing here?  Don't you have some work you could be doing?

PS Now is the time you can call me a boomer.  I'm ok with that in this case.  If I'm an old man because I wouldn't want my football coach taking over an hour out his work week to interview Cory Booker or Scott Boras then I'll accept that term proudly. 

Personally, I don't have an issue with him having a podcast as long as he's successful at his day job.  

Once he starts losing as a coach then to me it's an issue.  
Reply/Quote
I feel like McVay is constantly doing his best Jon Gruden impression. They sound dead on alike
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 10:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks it absolutely ridiculous that Sean McVay has a podcast?

Probably.

What about coaches that like to play golf, or go to the movies, or play a musical instrument?

They all have to give that stuff up too?
Reply/Quote

I see your point..optics not great,  but as far as I know, the dude is still a single man, no kids, wife etc......so he has the  little disposable time(expendable) "time" fo this.
grumpy -Gen Xer
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably.

What about coaches that like to play golf, or go to the movies, or play a musical instrument?

They all have to give that stuff up too?

Not at all.  I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but that's why I said I think the optics are bad.

I understand these guys have hobbies.  But for me I just question if putting out a weekly hour long plus podcast is the best look for a coach.  Playing golf, or going to the movies, or playing a musical instrument doesn't get broadcasted to thousands and thousands of people.  

Agree to disagree, I think it's a bad look.  And I'm almost positive a lot of the older coaches would agree.
Reply/Quote
I think Wes' point is that McVay is marketing his brand rather than focusing on coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is it me or does Zac sound like he just snorted cocaine whenever he speaks? The dude just goes off the rails. talking fast never taking a breath...

I found the podcast to be boring. I wanted to hear bout this season and current stories and conversations.

Also, I found it funny when they asked McVay the best thing about Zac and his first response was throwing the football to receivers in camp..

Yeah I want that guy as our new head coach, the one who throws footballs in camp to the WR before the QB gets here....yeah....thats the ticket.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not at all.  I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but that's why I said I think the optics are bad.

I understand these guys have hobbies.  But for me I just question if putting out a weekly hour long plus podcast is the best look for a coach.  Playing golf, or going to the movies, or playing a musical instrument doesn't get broadcasted to thousands and thousands of people.  

Agree to disagree, I think it's a bad look.  And I'm almost positive a lot of the older coaches would agree.

There is nothing wrong with podcasting. If you have to lean on “older coaches” disagreeing, it just means you’re outdated or out of touch. Podcasting is huge right now, and no reason he shouldn’t take advantage. Dude has been to playoffs most of his years and super bowl once.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 03:39 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: There is nothing wrong with podcasting. If you have to lean on “older coaches” disagreeing, it just means you’re outdated or out of touch. Podcasting is huge right now, and no reason he shouldn’t take advantage. Dude has been to playoffs most of his years and super bowl once.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with podcasting.  In fact, I enjoy quite a few different podcasts.  I just don't think a HC in the NFL should be co-hosting one.

Someone else said it earlier, and they were right.  To me it seems like a coach is too interested in growing his brand, or being in the spotlight.  Doesn't he get enough of that already?

I don't care if a coach chooses to go on them.  I just don't think the optics are that good to partner up on one.  To be publicly devoting this much time to this at this point in the offseason isn't a good look IMO.  Go find something else to do with your free time that's not front and center.  

To paraphrase the (not so) great Suge Knight:  "If you want a coach that doesn't wanna be all up in the video's, all up in the podcasts, come to..." (Sean McVay is the Puff Daddy of NFL coaches.)
Reply/Quote
The McVay podcast aside, I don't know how Zac Taylor has not won more games and been a better play caller.

When he talks football it is clear the guy knows his shit. I just don't understand, hopefully everything comes together
for him and us this season. It better or we need to move on.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 04:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: To be publicly devoting this much time to this at this point in the offseason isn't a good look IMO.  Go find something else to do with your free time that's not front and center.  

I just think your take is pretty outdated and cranky. That’s okay, you don’t have to agree, but based on your previous post, it doesn’t sound like you even knew he was running a podcast until now. Not really someone who is “front and center.”
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The McVay podcast aside, I don't know how Zac Taylor has not won more games and been a better play caller.

When he talks football it is clear the guy knows his shit. I just don't understand, hopefully everything comes together
for him and us this season. It better or we need to move on.

For me, it comes down to blocking. We haven't done much of it since he's been here. I've seen some aggressive and good play calls get blown up with piss poor blocking. Has he fixed that? We'll soon see, and if he has, I think we'll see a pretty good offense.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: For me, it comes down to blocking. We haven't done much of it since he's been here. I've seen some aggressive and good play calls get blown up with piss poor blocking. Has he fixed that? We'll soon see, and if he has, I think we'll see a pretty good offense.

True, hard to win games if you suck in the trenches.

If we can open up holes for Joe in the running game and block well for Joe in the passing game could be more than pretty good...
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 04:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I didn't say there was anything wrong with podcasting.  In fact, I enjoy quite a few different podcasts.  I just don't think a HC in the NFL should be co-hosting one.

Someone else said it earlier, and they were right.  To me it seems like a coach is too interested in growing his brand, or being in the spotlight.  Doesn't he get enough of that already?

I don't care if a coach chooses to go on them.  I just don't think the optics are that good to partner up on one.  To be publicly devoting this much time to this at this point in the offseason isn't a good look IMO.  Go find something else to do with your free time that's not front and center.  

To paraphrase the (not so) great Suge Knight:  "If you want a coach that doesn't wanna be all up in the video's, all up in the podcasts, come to..." (Sean McVay is the Puff Daddy of NFL coaches.)

This is getting silly.

All the top players take time to make TV commercials and do interviews on sports talk shows, but we are supposed to rip a coach for having a podcast?

Some people are not happy unless they are shitting on someone.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 04:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: (Sean McVay is the Puff Daddy of NFL coaches.)

Hey, Puff Daddy has been pretty successful, as has Sean McVay.

Unfortunately, we have the Rebecca Black of coaching.
Reply/Quote