Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Important Year for Jonah Williams
(06-27-2021, 12:55 PM)PDub80 Wrote: See, the Chiefs were cap strapped for this year. Compared to the Bengals they had little room. However, the Chiefs saw what was coming with the new TV deal and they forecasted that the cap would be going up TREMENDOUSLY in a short period of time. So they made Joe's deal for a little money THIS season, but for a TON of guaranteed money in the years following. The Bengals could have done the same thing, only given more money THIS season than the Chiefs and it wouldn't have been any kind of issue because the cap is going to go up like crazy. Instead, the Bengals opted to ignore that and assume the cap wouldn't be going up with any kind of huge jump.

The Bengals hedged while the Chiefs gambled all in. The Chiefs won on that bet.

This is why I said the Bengals had to keep going down their list of plans. I don't hate where they ended up, but it certainly wasn't on plan A. It could and should have ended up way way better. If the Bengals had better foresight and some balls to go along with it, massive improvements could have been made to the line. unfortunately, the Bengals conservative nature won the day (once again). Fortune favors the bold and the Chiefs are bold. 

You can't really compare the plans f the Chiefs and the Bengals.

Chiefs have a Super Bowl roster with one or two holes.  Bengals have a last place roster with holes all over the place.  I am sure the Bengals could have work out contracts to pay Thuney and Golladay $19 million a year each in order to out bid what they signed for with other teams, but that would have made it hard to address all the other problems with our roster.

So let me ask you this.  If I decide to go car shopping for the best car I can get for $30K and the first place I go I can't get a car I want for that price.  Does that mean my plan has "blown up in my face"?  Bengals had some interest in Zeitler and Thuney, but only at the right price.  And I am sure the Bengals knew they might not sign either of them. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Very Important Year for Jonah Williams - fredtoast - 06-28-2021, 10:07 AM