Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Hate Texting (Read for Explantion)
(06-29-2021, 06:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't get my wrong, I text all of the time too.  I just don't like getting a bunch of texts from one person over the span of an hour or so.  I also don't like getting texted asking for any super detailed info.

Here's a real life example that happens often:  I know a little abount about guitars and guitar repair and have done some basic work for some friends from time to time.  All too often I'll get a text from one of my buddies about something that's kinda hard to answer over text and then it leads to a whole chain of questions.

What do you know about this guitar? ...  The strings are buzzing, what does that mean? ... How do I check that? .... How do I do that? .... What's that mean?  Do you think it would be worth it to replace/upgrade this?.... Where would you recommend buying this part? .... Do you think I'd be better off selling it?...What do you think it's worth?... What do you know about these?

Even better, it oftens ends with something like this:  "Did you buy that guitar?"  - "No."  or "Would you mind looking at it if I brought by?"

It's like, "Dude, just pick up the phone and call me, or better yet just wait until you see me next time in person!"  I could have answered these questions in an actual conversation in about 3 minutes.

I'll give you that.  When I get questions like that (especially about guitars) I'll usually reply with "I'll meet you at Guitar Center so we can talk I can show you" or "bring your guitar and meet me at a brewery and I'll take a look after you buy me a beer or two."  I'm still not having that conversation over the phone, but texting is mostly inappropriate.  Although I do like that I can get pictures at least and "see" it without having to see it. 

In that same vein, I have one colleague who insists on sending every single sentence as its own instant message.  So my phone is just blowing up constantly for 2 minutes straight instead of her just typing a paragraph and keeping it together. 

I think general messaging etiquette just isn't utilized regardless of platform. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Hate Texting (Read for Explantion) - MileHighGrowler - 06-29-2021, 06:37 PM