Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morrison's who's up and down
Since we have to rely on the media to inform us of camp performances more than ever this year...here is The Athletic's Jay Morrison's take on week 1. It does include a few players of major interest

up

1) WR Trent Taylor
2) DE Khalid Kareem
3} OG Xavier Su'a Filo- right now looks to be game 1 starter
4) Markus Bailey
5) Trey Hopkins

down

1} OG Jackson Carman
Quote:Cue the Tom Petty track. The Bengals said they expected Carman to compete for a starting spot at guard when they picked him in the second round, and they ran him out there with the starters for OTAs. Whether it was the way he played or prepared or retained or whatever, they saw enough that they didn’t like that Carman has been taking third-team snaps (and second) early in camp. Sometimes teams can take that approach to send a message, but this feels like a lot more than that. The Bengals have seen enough to believe entrusting Carman with protecting Burrow isn’t in their best interest just yet. The rookie has a steep climb ahead.
Quote:

2} WR Auden Tate
in perspective, just not the camp MVP...has had a few drops

3} DT Larry Ogunjobi
' hasn't seen the field

4} Austin Siebert
again perspective, has made 13 of 15 kicks one of the misses being a 60 yard. McPherson has made 14 of 15 missing only that 60 yarder (had enough length though}. Siebert is doing enough to be signed to another team. Of course, we still have to see them in a game

5] RB/WR Pooka Williams
Quote:Williams’ inclusion here is the yang to Trent Taylor’s yin. The undrafted rookie has made some impressive plays in his switch to wide receiver, most notably a tough recovery for a reception after a tipped pass in Friday’s practice. But he’s falling behind Taylor as a receiving option and especially as a punt returner. Williams hasn’t put the ball on the ground, but his inexperience shows as he looks unsure and unsteady as he tracks balls in the air. He’ll have a huge opportunity to gain ground in the preseason games just as Alex Erickson did in winning the job as an undrafted rookie in 2016. But through one week, Williams is losing ground in a bid to make the roster.
Quote:

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If XSF and Spain are at least average starters this year, it makes sense to not force Carman into the starting role, as he needs time to transition.
The problem last year was XSF got injured in Game 1 and then didn't really play again until the last 4 games of the season.
Plus, you had Spain coming in mid-year and playing a few different positions in an entirely new scheme.
We all know how bad Jordan and Redmond were (are) in pass protection.

If Spain and XSF can at least be average, I think an OL with Jonah Williams, Reiff, and Hopkins can be at least middle of the pack.

If Pooka Williams doesn't make the roster, I think he's a perfect candidate for the PS. I really like his potential, but he needs time to transition to a WR after being a RB in college.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ok so the Offensive Line depth chart probably looks something like this:

Jonah Williams - Quinton Spain - Trey Hopkins - Xavier Su'a-Filo - Riley Reiff

D'Ante Smith - Michael Jordan - Billy Price - Trey Hill(?) - Fred Johnson

Isaiah Prince - Keaton Sutherland - Trey Hill - Jackson Carman - Gunnar Vogel 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:22 AM)Synric Wrote: Ok so the Offensive Line depth chart probably looks something like this:

Jonah Williams - Quinton Spain - Trey Hopkins - Xavier Su'a-Filo - Riley Reiff

D'Ante Smith - Michael Jordan - Billy Price - Trey Hill(?) - Fred Johnson

Isaiah Prince - Keaton Sutherland - Trey Hill - Jackson Carman - Gunnar Vogel 

I would say that Fred Johnson is the backup for both tackle positions right now.  And if Filo went out, Spain would move the right side and Jordan or Price would take over the left side.  We'll see what it looks like later on

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:27 AM)pally Wrote: I would say that Fred Johnson is the backup for both tackle positions right now.  And if Filo went out, Spain would move the right side and Jordan or Price would take over the left side.  We'll see what it looks like later on

Bouncing will start to shake out when they start cutting players back down to 9. I was just guessing the first through third teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Jackson Carman is garbage we all knew this we all knew the bengals can’t scout an olineman to save their life and here we are after burrow has destroyed his knee what have we done we brought in a second round rookie who should’ve always been drafted in the 4th and we signed an over the hill tackle in Riley Reiff to play a position he hasn’t played in years. The bengals will always be bad because of this type of shit. Run burrow. Run
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:37 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Jackson Carman is garbage we all knew this we all knew the bengals can’t scout an olineman to save their life and here we are after burrow has destroyed his knee what have we done we brought in a second round rookie who should’ve always been drafted in the 4th and we signed an over the hill tackle in Riley Reiff to play a position he hasn’t played in years.  The bengals will always be bad because of this type of shit.  Run burrow.  Run

The Carman pick was in many ways the barometer of this yrs draft class, because they  passed on the best OL prospect in a decade from what we we were hearing about Sewell. I hope he ends up a good pick but this is troubling.  
Reply/Quote
Well Jay has to be wrong and unprofessional because according to the experts on the board here it’s normal for this to happen and he will be a day one starter. I mean we have a board full of football genius’
Ninja
Reply/Quote
Carman better start. The Piano Man guaranteed it.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: The Carman pick was in many ways the barometer of this yrs draft class, because they  passed on the best OL prospect in a decade from what we we were hearing about Sewell. I hope he ends up a good pick but this is troubling.  

This reminds me of when Pete carrol passed the ball on the 1 yard line instead of giving it to lynch. The seahawks tried to get cute and they outsmarted themselves. Bengals did the same thing. They said hey let’s get an olineman in the second and we can get this shiny new weapon to go along with alllllll of our other weapons we already have in the first. Instead of trying to be geniuses the should’ve just taken Sewell and forgot about it. Even if Sewell is a bust or if Marshawn gets stopped u still made the right call by drafting Sewell/running the call. U can live with that. If burrow gets beat up again it will be of zero shock to me and the turds in here who wanted chase along with the front office that drafted him will have no one to thank but themselves and yet again the bengals our bengals are gonna be the laughing stock. Burrow leg gets destroyed and in return we trout out at offensive line Jonah Williams(massive question mark) Quentin Spain(another teams scraps) Trey Hopkins(massive question mark coming off acl Injury and regardless not that good) Xavier sou filo ( I don’t even know what to say on this one) and then Riley Reiff who’s over the hill not that good but decent and is gonna play a position here he hasn’t played in years. My heart goes out to the kid
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:37 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Jackson Carman is garbage we all knew this we all knew the bengals can’t scout an olineman to save their life and here we are after burrow has destroyed his knee what have we done we brought in a second round rookie who should’ve always been drafted in the 4th and we signed an over the hill tackle in Riley Reiff to play a position he hasn’t played in years.  The bengals will always be bad because of this type of shit.  Run burrow.  Run

Garbage? Who is we, lots of people in this forum?

I will start a poll to see if you speak for everyone or yourself calling Carmen garbage.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Brian Callahan had a lot of nice thing to say about the back half of the receiver room
Trenton Irwin, Trent Taylor and Stanley Morgan
I should come down to the Pre-Season games on who make it! Can't wait to watch.!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRT3Lkn4U_E
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Garbage? Who is we, lots of people in this forum?

I will start a poll to see if you speak for everyone or yourself calling Carmen garbage.

I think the "we" he's describing is the butthurt Sewell fans, who were going to hate anyone they took other than him regardless of who it is.

Note: I'm not describing everyone who wanted Sewell as "butthurt", only the small minority who have made it clear they're not going to give this kid a chance.  There's a select few on here that almost seem pleased with the news about a meaningless depth chart in July.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: The Carman pick was in many ways the barometer of this yrs draft class, because they  passed on the best OL prospect in a decade from what we we were hearing about Sewell. I hope he ends up a good pick but this is troubling.  

Right im sure there were More Field ready players available..  but it could still work out in the Long run  but not looking like the quick fix we hoped.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think the "we" he's describing is the butthurt Sewell fans, who were going to hate anyone they took other than him regardless of who it is.

Note: I'm not describing everyone who wanted Sewell as "butthurt", only the small minority who have made it clear they're not going to give this kid a chance.  There's a select few on here that almost seem pleased with the news about a meaningless depth chart in July.  

Good thoughts.

The confusing thing for me has always been, once a player is a Bengal, I am his biggest fan to succeed. It is like hoping for cancer (i know it is a game), in this case a team cancer so Bengals lose. If Carmen pick ends up being very bad, we take a huge step backwards again.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Not getting enough attention today? People believing everything a reporter says...  
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure how much value you can reasonably ascribe to these sorts of articles. Morrison has Pooka Williams as a down whereas Bengalswire also has a list of training camp winners and losers and lists Pooka as a winner.

It seems like everyone is scrambling to come up with enough names to fill their columns. Lists will get more meaningful once pads go on and in particular once pre-season game tape is available.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Garbage? Who is we, lots of people in this forum?

I go on record saying I don't think he will be garbage.
However, I do think transitioning from college OT to pro OG is not some super quick, simple thing, so it may take some time for Carman to adjust. I do think he will be a fine player over time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 01:00 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: I'm not sure how much value you can reasonably ascribe to these sorts of articles. Morrison has Pooka Williams as a down whereas Bengalswire also has a list of training camp winners and losers and lists Pooka as a winner.

It seems like everyone is scrambling to come up with enough names to fill their columns. Lists will get more meaningful once pads go on and in particular once pre-season game tape is available.

Yeah, I don't get his list.

AFAIR, he and PDJ were praising Tate earlier this week and he was getting a lot of love, but then he's on the players whose stock is down?

I don't get it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Just complete BS, I usually get along with you in the Draft forum but this is a shit post man.

Carman could be the best OL in this class, we don't know anything yet. Dude protected Trevor Lawrence and did so very well
at Clemson. Carman is made to play Guard as it hides his only weakness which is speed rushers coming off the edge. He just 
must be a little overweight and Pollack is sending a message. Doesn't mean Carman is garbage that is for damn sure.
Reply/Quote