Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense Improved?
Maybe Sweet Lou has something cookin on Bengals D. I must say, I am a little concerned about the O at this point. I know D is > O at this point, but still.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would hope they’ve improved. They’ve got 2 free agents from the previous offseason that have now returned, plus about 5 more to add to the mix. Throw in some rookies and it should look completely different. And, last but not least, you can’t go anywhere but up with how bad they were the past two seasons.

They better have f****** improved lol.
Reply/Quote
Uhoh..time to cut Burrow and Chase and make the trade with da Bears to get Andy back in the fold before it's too late! OMG
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I would hope they’ve improved. They’ve got 2 free agents from the previous offseason that have now returned, plus about 5 more to add to the mix. Throw in some rookies and it should look completely different. And, last but not least, you can’t go anywhere but up with how bad they were the past two seasons.

I don't know if I should be worried or excited that the D is destroying Burrow and the O.  Freakout
Before the injury, Burrow without any preseason or OTA last year was putting great D's on heels.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I would hope they’ve improved. They’ve got 2 free agents from the previous offseason that have now returned, plus about 5 more to add to the mix. Throw in some rookies and it should look completely different. And, last but not least, you can’t go anywhere but up with how bad they were the past two seasons.

I think we can say the same of the offense and defense, not a good showing last two years but if you look at who is the projected starters now from just two years ago it is great change over, you have probably 4/5 starters on offense and 3 starters on defense from 2019 year, so that is roughly 65% change in starters in just 2 years. 
Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The defense is finally healthy. They've invested a ton in the defense. They should be playing well like they are. I think it's a positive.

On the flip side, they haven't invested as much in the offensive line as the defensive line. A lot of our offensive line players are inexperienced. It takes time.

I think we'll see the offense improve--but overall this is very encouraging for the defense. If they are a top 15 defense this year, we can win a lot of games.

I like the secondary signings. I liked the picks at LB last year. I like how they addressed the Dline last year with Reader, and this year in the draft/FA. They've got a lot of potential this year.
Reply/Quote
Love what I'm hearing about the D.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe Sweet Lou has something cookin on Bengals D. I must say, I am a little concerned about the O at this point. I know D is > O at this point, but still.

Only thing that sticks out to me here is the oline getting destroyed. Cue up the violins.
Reply/Quote
It's august the defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense. Let's chill until we see them in real action.

It is positive that the defense is doing well but the same thing was said in 2019 training camp. Look at how that season turned out.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They need ton get Ogunjobi healthy, but no reason they shouldn't be better. They got guys back healthy. Added some key guys who are professionals, and a little addition by subtraction
Reply/Quote
While it's definitely encouraging to read good things about the defense, let's also keep in mind that on most competently run teams, defense is typically always ahead of the offense to begin the year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good to hear.

Now let's hope the O starts clicking in a week or so.
Reply/Quote
Are practice plays scripted? Part of me thinks the coaches can make it intentionally harder on one side of the ball. May be putting Burrow and the O behind the 8 ball with some tough love.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Are practice plays scripted? Part of me thinks the coaches can make it intentionally harder on one side of the ball. May be putting Burrow and the O behind the 8 ball with some tough love.

Aren't they doing 7-7 too?  I think some is scripted but it sounds like secondary is chewing up Offense at this point.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I'm surprised anyone is trying in training camp with people coming off of injuries and how scared I am of anyone getting hurt.
Reply/Quote
Mike Hilton shutting Chase down.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe Sweet Lou has something cookin on Bengals D.  I must say, I am a little concerned about the O at this point.  I know D is > O at this point, but still.  

Yes, Bengals.com is raving about Bengals Defense, which only means The O Line Blocking still STINKS. 

Super Bowl Tampa will give them a real test soon, as will Washington and Miami.  We will soon see what The Bengals REALLY have.  This Blocking better be better, or Burrow will have as short a career as Greg Cook. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The oline is still a bottom 10 unit I have no doubts but early days of camp are often curtailed to defense. The o is doing install and it's all short routes for the most part so dbs know they can sit on routes. When the pads come on is when real football starts. The news coming out of camp the rest of the way now that they are in pads will be much more relevant.

It's hard to take much away from underwear football. Especially when it comes to the lines. Well really start figuring out what we have on the lines the next 2 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 02:04 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Mike Hilton shutting Chase down.

Hard to tell from that quick angle, but I'm guessing there would be a flag on that play.  That said, I've said before, I think Lou will surprise people this year. He has built this defense to run his system. Fast Linebackers, a fast secondary with attitude and guys who love contact and aren't afraid to tackle (looking at you WJIII), and he has a D line that so far is not 6th and 7th string. I put Lou squarely with Taylor this year, they have had two years to build their team, so it's time to show up.
Reply/Quote