Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Our offense has shifted to Joe Mixon
In the first 7 weeks, Burrow to Chase was on a record shattering pace and almost totally responsible for our 5-2 record.

Burrow was completing 68.9% on a staggering 9.23 yards per attempt. This was mostly thanks to the dominant play of Chase, who had 754 yards and 6 TDs at 21.5 yards/catch.

Over the last 4 weeks, this production has drastically declined.

Burrow is completing 70.1% of his throws, but only for a fairly paltry 6.92 yards/attempt...which is a massive drop of 2.31 per attempt.

This decline coincides directly with Chase...who over the last 4 weeks has only 162 yards and 2 scores on 15 catches (10.8 per catch). This comes on 31 targets. So Burrow is averaging only 5.23 yards per target to Chase.

In short, teams are successfully removing Chase from our offense.

---------------

The point of this thread is this:

1. The removal of Chase from the offense directly led to the ugly losses to the Jets and Browns.

2. Zac Taylor seemingly recognized this, and adjusted the offense drastically.

In the losses to the Jets and Browns, Mixon had a COMBINED 27 carries for 97 yards and 3 TDs.

Over the past 2 wins vs the Raiders and Steelers, Mixon posted 30-123-2 followed by 28-165-2.

In summary, as long as defenses are focused on stopping Burrow/Chase, the offense looks like it's going to run Mixon down their throats. We'll see if defenses start to lean back towards stopping the run. Should be interesting.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
PB has the worst run defense in the league (entering game) and Mixon was ranked 28th in league in YPC though.

He's definitely doing well lately, the O-line is performing well.
Reply/Quote
It only speaks volumes for having a legit deep threat and forcing teams to adjust coverage.

Glad Taylor recognized the attention and adjusted the offense outside of the ratio of run/pass.

Tee stepped up in a big way today too.

We've needed these other WRs to make something of what the D is giving.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say the offense has, "shifted," but I would say that we are adjusting to what the D is giving us:

Stop Chase? We'll run it down your throat.
Stop Mixon? We have Chase.

Don't forget that Higgins almost had 20 YPC today as well, so we did still go deep.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I wouldn't say the offense has, "shifted," but I would say that we are adjusting to what the D is giving us:

Don't forget that Higgins almost had 20 YPC today as well, so we did still go deep.

This, but to Shake's point....ZT said "if it ain't broke don't fix it" when asked about the apparent shift the last couple of weeks. It's good to see going into the rough weather stretch of the season. 

Like you say though, if they stack the box to stop JM, look out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I wouldn't say the offense has, "shifted," but I would say that we are adjusting to what the D is giving us:

Tomato, to-mah-toe. This is exactly what I meant. I didn't mean it was a permanent shift. Just that Zac is showing a willingness to lean heavily on the run if teams devote themselves heavily to stopping us from throwing.

This was a complimentary thread to Zac more than a shot at our pass offense, before anyone thinks I'm being "negative".

I'm also loving that we're showing ability to beat teams multiple ways. That's what championship teams are made of.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In the first 7 weeks, Burrow to Chase was on a record shattering pace and almost totally responsible for our 5-2 record.

Burrow was completing 68.9% on a staggering 9.23 yards per attempt. This was mostly thanks to the dominant play of Chase, who had 754 yards and 6 TDs at 21.5 yards/catch.

Burrow is completing 70.1% of his throws, but only for a fairly paltry 6.92 yards/attempt...which is a massive drop of 2.31 per attempt.

This decline coincides directly with Chase...who over the last 4 weeks has only 162 yards and 2 scores on 15 catches (10.8 per catch). This comes on 31 targets. So Burrow is averaging only 5.23 yards per target to Chase.

---------------

1. The removal of Chase from the offense directly led to the ugly losses to the Jets and Browns.

In the losses to the Jets and Browns, Mixon had a COMBINED 27 carries for 97 yards and 3 TDs.

Over the past 2 wins vs the Raiders and Steelers, Mixon posted 30-123-2 followed by 28-165-2.

In summary, as long as defenses are focused on stopping Burrow/Chase, the offense looks like it's going to run Mixon down their throats. We'll see if defenses start to lean back towards stopping the run. Should be interesting.

Yes, if the oline can continue to shove people around, Mixon will put up yards. That simple. The key is getting early leads too. 

Reply/Quote
I know this thread is about adjusting the offense but can we also mention what a heck of a team player Chase is?

If it's one thing I give Taylor major props for this...  most of the marquis players are pretty unselfish.

These WRs really blocking with heart aside from running routes and catching.
Reply/Quote
I'm reminded of how Boomer won MVP in 1988, but it was our run game that carried us through the playoffs that year.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I know this thread is about adjusting the offense but can we also mention what a heck of a team player Chase is?

If it's one thing I give Taylor major props for this...  most of the marquis players are pretty unselfish.

Definitely give a nod to Chase....but as you said, all of the WRs are making blocks. Stanley Morgan had a couple nice ones last week.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm reminded of how Boomer won MVP in 1988, but it was our run game that carried us through the playoffs that year.

Yep, he had a bum shoulder.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, if the oline can continue to shove people around, Mixon will put up yards. That simple. The key is getting early leads too. 

Mixon is taking his cuts into the smaller holes too.

I think before he as looking for open blocks or bouncing it outside.

Today it looked like he was cutting into the sliver of gaps when they were present.
Reply/Quote
I agree. The run game struggled for the most of last weeks game, but Zac has adjusted. I would like to see a little more committee because of Mixon's history of fragility. Overall, I can't complain, the team is doing great. If the run game can find consistency, having a passing game like we have shown along with a running game will be incredible.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:34 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep, he had a bum shoulder.

Right. I'm just saying we were able to ride that run game when the pass O went down.

Great teams can skin a cat multiple ways. Teams adjusted to us, now we've adjusted to them.

Should he interesting to see it ebb and flow the rest of the way.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:35 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mixon is taking his cuts into the smaller holes too.

I think before he as looking for open blocks or bouncing it outside.

Today it looked like he was cutting into the sliver of gaps when they were present.

Yes, seems his vision is getting better. 

(11-28-2021, 08:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right. I'm just saying we were able to ride that run game when the pass O went down.

Great teams can skin a cat multiple ways.

Yep....Brooks and Woods was a helluva one two punch. 

Reply/Quote
Tiger
I was at the game watching this offensive line... They played well. You could drive a truck thru it!
Mixon is a cold weather back ready to carry the load.
The offensive line played well even did a two step dance.
They need to be consistent!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In the first 7 weeks, Burrow to Chase was on a record shattering pace and almost totally responsible for our 5-2 record.

---------------

I think the huge thing here is.. The offense has proven they can beat you in multiple ways..Shootout? Pound it? They can do whatever it is that needs to be done..
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I know this thread is about adjusting the offense but can we also mention what a heck of a team player Chase is?

He really is. He gives 100% on every single snap. He is looking to just straight up punish dudes with his downfield blocking (I thought the penalty today was bs btw).

There also doesn’t seem to be any diva in him. They showed a shot of him with Tee on the bench after Tee’s TD and Chase was grinning from ear to ear. He couldn’t have looked any happier for him.

Reply/Quote
Plus if Tee keeps taking advantage of his opportunity to shine the sky is the limit for the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:12 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Plus if Tee keeps taking advantage of his opportunity to shine the sky is the limit for the offense.

Absolutely. The other two need to step up and make teams pay for focusing Chase.

Good job by Higgins today.
Reply/Quote