Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Threads from the Enemy week 13: Chargers
(11-30-2021, 02:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think there is def still debate. It will become more clear in the next couple years. 

I don't agree with the bolded though. Stronger arm =/= better upside. Burrow's arm isn't limiting, he just needs to keep working on mechanics. 

I don't know much about Herbert, so i don't know how apt he is to develop his intermediate game but so far, he's been pretty mediocre there while Burrow excels. The knock on Burrow last year was the deep ball and this year, the gap between him and Herbert is much tighter than the gap is between them in the intermediate throws. 

If I'm honest, I don't really know the physical limitations of Burrow's arm. I look at the deep pass to Chase against Detroit and I wonder did he just not have enough strength to get the ball into Chase's stride, was it a lack of accuracy issue or was it the pressure that made it so that he didn't get all of his arm into it. Either way, while I don't think his arm strength is an issue like it is with players like Tua, I do think that, if he had a stronger arm, it would undoubtedly open up the playbook more. So when I say "upside" I mean more physical upside. You can't really teach arm strength or speed past a certain point that is usually maxed out by the time a player exits college, but you can teach mechanics that tweak accuracy and you can teach decision making and the ability to read defenses.

Burrow is definitely more accurate than Herbert though. And if I had to take a guy who accurate on intermediate throws and inaccurate on deep throws or vice versa, I'd take the former, which I believe Burrow is.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Threads from the Enemy week 13: Chargers - CJD - 11-30-2021, 03:17 PM