Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Internet provider do you use and what speed?
(11-03-2015, 01:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have a question.

Does using a wireless system slow down the speed?  That is what my internet provider told me.  They said I needed a direct wire to get the full speed instead of wifi.

Do you pay your ISP a monthly fee for their shitty modem/router combo? That's the first place I always tell people to start when having any issues. Most companies charge $7-$12 for their POS combos, and you can go out and find a Newegg deal for a Moto Surfboard/Archer C5 or C7 router for just over $100, they do the sales more frequently than you'd expect. I use the Motorola 6141 and C5 combo, and it's overkill for my current setup but I'm basically future proof'd and it's essentially paid for itself already if you consider Comcast tries to get me to use their garbage for $12 per month. My stuff paid for itself in less than 10 months. Better quality, better range on the WiFi, and dual band so I can get on the 5 GHZ band with my wireless devices when I'm in the same room as my gear and then use the 2.4 in the rest of the house.

Another thing to do is to see what channels your WiFi is on. You can use a scanner and you may be surprised when you realize you're sharing a channel with 10 of your neighbors, and the 2.4 GHZ band is entirely open during the evening hours on another reliable channel. A lot of people don't realize that they can manually change their channels to clear up their signal. Now, that's only for those living in the city, if you don't have a neighbor within a mile from your home, obviously this doesn't apply.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Internet provider do you use and what speed? - djs7685 - 11-09-2015, 01:59 PM