Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Internet provider do you use and what speed?
(11-09-2015, 02:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Unfortunately, you are still wrong even trying to explain it away. Bandwidth is capacity, not speed no matter how bad you want it to be. While it is funny that I mislabeled MB/s and Mb/s you are still trying to incorrectly label what bandwidth is. If the server you are downloading from can only give you 10Mb/s then your 100Mb/s makes no difference whatsoever in the time it takes to download something. Many servers intentionally throttle back the rate at which they send data to each user in order to serve the max amount of people in the most efficient way, this often time leaves servers sending data well below these large capacity internet packages sold to the general public.

No, not wrong at all, I just didn't mention any throttling or maximum values.

It is absolutely "speed" in some cases whether you will admit it or not. Note that I never said that it's always the case, but it certainly can be.

A friend of mine only has access to 3 Mb/s in his area, I currently have 25 Mb/s. I download large updates to the games we both play in a much shorter length of time. By definition of the words in the English language, I download the updates "faster" than my friend, hence....speed.

It's generically labeled as "download speed" for a reason. I don't always download at 3 MB/s, but my friend doesn't even have the chance at downloading at 3 MB/s, instead he's stuck at 3 Mb/s. When speaking of downloading and uploading, using the term "speed" is fair, and not really the ISPs just being out to get you. You can mention throttling and max speeds on certain servers, but you can't pretend that it's the case for every user in every scenario. I hate Time Warner and the other big bad bullies as much as the next guy, but I see no reason to not be realistic about the conversation instead of making everything us against them.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Internet provider do you use and what speed? - djs7685 - 11-09-2015, 02:26 PM