Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine
(02-25-2022, 01:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Of course he hasn't been innovative. He's an old hand at all of this and his moves are predictable. As for what we could've done to avoid this? Support a referendum for the separatist regions and agree to not add Ukraine to NATO. We tend to overlook our role in creating this problem. Don't get me wrong, Putin is an imperialistic oligarch and is in the wrong, here, but the US and Europe has gone back on their agreements and it instigated this. In 1990, both the US and NATO agreed to no eastward expansion beyond Germany with the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact. That was ignored and as the USSR fell, their former nations were added to the NATO roster. This is of concern to Russia as the distance between NATO, an organization really created to be antagonistic to them, creeps closer to their main seat of power. Ukraine was the last frontier in that regard as it provides a strategic pathway to major Russian cities from the west.

Now, this is the explanation coming from many folks that know this issue fairly well. There is probably a lot more to it, as international relations is very complex and multi-faceted. But this explanation really makes sense to me.

Those country were just on the wrong side of the wall in 1945. Historically, they have no tie with Russia. 

Those country have been occupied during 50 years by the Red Army, they know exactly who they are, what they do.

So it's not a real surprise that they wanted to join NATO because they know very well what it is to be invaded.

Budapest.
Prague.
Warsaw.
Baltic countries.

They know. So to protect themselves they joined NATO and there is no way in Hell that because they were on the wrong side of a wall that they will ask permission to Russia to do what they want on their land.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine - Arturo Bandini - 02-25-2022, 03:05 PM