Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine
(02-26-2022, 08:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I disagree. IMO, Sanctions should have started sooner and not after an invasion. If we knew the intelligence we are so proud of knowing, we should have delivered enough weapons, along with the UN to Ukraine. I personally think we should increase boots on the ground and get them ready if needed. I know they have increased troop count in Poland, but I would like to see more. 

I feel Bidens actions are lacking. Not saying Trump would do better because honestly, this is not about Trump (although he sure seems to be mentioned a lot in this thread). Biden needs to fully reopen all our energy resources and cut Russia off. In addition, we should be exporting energy to those countries which have relied on Russia for energy. However, with Germany changing it's tune and finally offering aid to Ukraine, those ideas may actually be in the works. As we know, Germany is heavily dependent on Russia for energy. I don't think they make that call without assurance their needs will be provided. 

H-Dog! glad to hear from you.

Russia was already under a number of sanctions, has been since 2014. The question for Biden was how, which, and when to increase them as a deterrent. That's very hard to do, as P undoubtedly expected sanctions and prepared his economy for them.

A second point about sanctions: our allies and others have to be on board, or they will not be effective. As you noted, Germany is heavily dependent upon Russian hydrocarbons. Sanctions hurt the sanctioners as well, so their governments must be persuaded. Same for the EU, which is even more complicated. It is remarkable that Biden has been able to selectively target some Russian banks for SWIFT sanctions. 

I'm pretty sure Biden discussed "when" to apply sanctions with his NSC and our allies as soon as the Russian build up on Ukraine's border began, before deciding they would be more effective if threatened first as a warning, then deployed as follow up. Remember that Putin was claiming he would not invade, right up to the invasion. If you apply sanctions first, you lose their leverage to prevent the invasion.

So, it's not like Biden can just say "sanction" and the world bends to his will. It takes time to propose the right ones and get everyone on board. Seems to me Biden is already doing many of the things you suggest, and importantly, leading from behind with the EU.

I think you can count on it that Trump would hardly "do better." His advisers and Repubs in Congress would be urging action while he was balking, deflecting, postponing any response, and praising the "genius" of Putin. Can you see him rallying NATO? Trump is mentioned a lot on this thread because FOX commentators keep comparing Biden's response to an imaginary "strong" Trump whom, we are to believe, would get after the dictator whose friendship and approval he still desires. And remember his Sec. of State was Pompeo. 

Also, sanctions are a long game, requiring organization, planning, persistence, diplomacy, deep knowledge of how allies interact and of the target economy--all requiring a very long attention span.

Trump's foreign policy is Tucker Carlson's, so listen to Tucker if you want some idea of how Trump might have responded to an invasion from the dictator he still admires most--"Why should we take Ukraine's side? Why are we supposed to suddenly hate Putin? Has Putin ever tried to get me fired, killed dogs? No, he has not."  Neither Tucker nor Trump has shown any interest defending liberal democracy within the "globalist" international system. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine - Dill - 02-27-2022, 12:11 PM