Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade?
(03-12-2022, 10:01 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Interesting take.

Salaries are kind of a difficult measure due to when they were signed, bonuses, etc.

That said, in 2019 Collins signed a 5 year $50M extension with $35M Guarantee - the largest for any RT ever, and made him a top 5 highest paid tackle in the league, not just RTs.

His numbers are a little lower than his pre-injury numbers in 2019, which were crazy, but 2021 grades are still solid coming off an injury.

Pass Blocking

It looks like 4 RTs rank higher than him with pass blocking:

Johnson at 82.6
Moton 79.4
O'Neil at 78.1
Havenstein 77.4

Collins was 74.3
(Jonah 67.5, Reiff 58.4, Prince 39.7)

I'm not sure the exact stat but one Cowboy's insider podcast mentioned Dak held the ball the longest or an extremely long time (as does our boy), not sure exactly but I'll check if I get time.

Run Blocking:

Collins is at 89.7  3rd best amongst all Tackles in the NFL

Compared to the list above:

Havenstein 82.2
Johnson 76.8
Moton 70.7
O'Neil 65.9

Overall
Havenstein 83.4
Johnson 83.3. (Johnson caught a TD pass that gives him a bit of a bump)
Collins 80.2
Moton 77.5
O'Neil 73.7

*Johnson is also 3 years older than Collins and Havenstein 2 years older.

"My dominant concern is his run blocking is so much better than his pass blocking"

There is a gap but not because he isnt very good at pass blocking, his rush block is simply overwhelming and is on average 20 pts higher than the next 4 RTs...with better passing grades.

This guy is elite. His contract is almost unbelievable. 

Compared to our guys:

Collins, 8 penalties, 2 sacks

Jonah, 4 penalties, 8 sacks
Reiff, 1 penalty, 4 sacks 
Prince, 7 penalties, 3 sacks
RT Combined, 8 penalties, 7 sacks

I dont think I see your point on Collins though, Coach?   I absolutely agree with Norwell.

I have some questions on Collins that have not been mentioned here and trying to learn more about and confirm, but the guy is very good and changes our offense in my opinion.

If the entirety of your opinion is based on PFF grades that tells me you’re not an OL guy. I am. Just as there are not 13 centers higher rated than Ryan Jensen based on questionable PFF grades (he is a top 5 at the minimum), there is no way La’el’s pass blocking is top 5. Top 10 maybe, but I doubt it. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t object to his signing at all. I certainly wouldn’t give up our 1st and 2nd round picks for him. And there are other ways to greatly improve the pass protection of the OL (read IOL).
Feed The Cats Training

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade? - CoachGeorge - 03-13-2022, 11:43 AM