Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Do we need a new song for the Bengals?
(03-25-2022, 02:31 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Of course there's a ton of crap now. There's a ton of crap in every era. You don't hear the absolute mountains of crap that existed in the 1970s, because it doesn't get played anymore.

Also, there's nothing inherently wrong with pop music. "rock music good pop music bad" is just as silly as "old music good new music bad"

There's a difference been crap song ideas and just general crap.

Modern mainstream music (which, let's face it, is only rap and pop, and certainly not rock) is doo-doo for the following reasons:

1. Heavy reliance on auto-tune. I could go on for days about this, but let's just say it removes the soul from music. It also removes the need for this thing called "skill".

2. Modern rappers all (the vast majority) use the same flow and style.

3. Fewer "musicians" actually playing instruments or even writing their own music. At least those "Dad rockers" were not only playing instruments (a skill), they were also writing their own songs. Now most mainstream music was written by some guy in Nashville and given to someone with a pretty face.

Not that this hasn't always been a part of the music industry, but it's far more prevalent now. Probably because rock is dead, and that's one of the few genres where most mainstream bands wrote their own stuff.

4. Lack of diversity in popular genres. As I've already said, only a few genres can really be considered mainstream now. In the 90s, you had hard rock, rap, R&B, country, light alternative, experimental bands that fused everything from reggae to rap, ska/punk, pop, and folk music was even popular with Lilith Fair.

Every musician I know feels the same way about modern music. Yes, there is talent out there. There always will be...but the mainstream music scene overall just really fell off a cliff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we need a new song for the Bengals? - Shake n Blake - 03-25-2022, 03:19 PM