Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Do we need a new song for the Bengals?
(03-25-2022, 03:30 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I say this without the slightest hint of irony or humor:

If I had the choice to listen to Taylor Swift and Katy Perry all day versus, say, Stevie Ray Vaughan for example -- I am taking the former, and I don't hesitate.

Taste is subjective on every dimension. All of these generalizations about what modern music is are unfounded. I also consider, just as a flat philosophy, "technical skill" to be among the least important elements of quality music. Obsession with that breeds genres I consider to be utterly unlistenable (e.g., progressive rock) and degrades an [IMO] much more important factor: writing.

I agree with all of this.

High technical skill is a nice tool to have to achieve some things, but can be quite cumbersome when it's the main focus.

The era we are currently in has reached the pinnacle of skill in my opinion but has also reached a low point in writing abilities.

There's a flood of child prodigies and now a competition of skills have left creativity as secondary factor.

Imperfections can be beautiful. 

Space in music is as important as a flurry of beats or notes.

A singer doesn't need amazing range to deliver a great melody or message.

Some of the simplest guitar riffs can impact and transcend time.

One of the most impressive things to me is a band/group/artist is one who can convey a broad range of topics, thoughts, and emotions.

Your opinion on Katy Perry/Taylor Swift to SRV is just that...  an opinion of your specific taste.

Nothing wrong with that.  Music is personal and what you like is what you like.  

SRV is one of those few players that rose above the Blues genre. 

He was not well received by traditional Blues players when he was coming up.

Too much rock aggression in his style.

Many wouldn't know that because his sound has been around 30+yrs and is considered norm now because all of those players influenced by him.

Eddie Van Halen falls into this as well because how much impact he had over time.  He was special.  No one like him when he arrived.

I used to not understand the obsession with Jimi Hendrix when I was younger.  Over time I realized he was special.  He influenced not only many musicians(SRV being one)but changed the approach to effects and amplifiers being made.  Just like EVH.

All of the above does matter.  Just maybe not to you.  
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we need a new song for the Bengals? - BengalsRocker - 03-26-2022, 09:45 AM