Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Paul Daughtery: Doc: Zac Taylor came in strutting, without actually strutting. He was
(05-05-2022, 08:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You must not have been around when Marvin was losing all those playoff games and the fanbase was losing their minds because the fornt office would not give him any help in free agency.

Believe me there was nothing "too funny" about it.

You didn't Shanebo did.  He claimed that when Marvin was coach he usually had a more talented roster when he lost those playoff games.

Who's to say that Marvin wanted any help? That 2015 team really only had one weak link, and that was Russell Bodine. Remember....when the media questioned the staff about upgrading the center, good ol Ketchup Paulie called it a "witch hunt".  However, I was REALLY wanting the team to upgrade him.

Really, the Bengals were re-signing a lot of very talented FAs during the Dalton/Green tenure. I think they could've added more when Palmer was here, for sure. That's when I was most upset with whoever was deciding what to do in FA. They let the line go to crap for a while, and the WR corps wasn't much after TJ left. 

Marvin had his guys that played to his philosophy. Those guys didn't translate very well, as a whole, to Zac's philosophy, and they were getting long in the tooth to boot. If the Bengals wanted to win any time soon, they really had no choice but to be aggressive in FA. That roster SORELY needed flipped, and the draft was not going to do it soon enough. As I've maintained, year 1 was a roster evaluation. Year 2 was the start of roster turnover. Year 3 yielded a flipped roster and a Super Bowl run.... something Marvin couldn't do in SIXTEEN years. 

I sure do appreciate Marvin delivering us from the abyss, but that ship sailed in January of 2016.... it's just too bad management ignored that until 2019.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paul Daughtery: Doc: Zac Taylor came in strutting, without actually strutting. He was - Wyche'sWarrior - 05-05-2022, 09:56 AM