Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst........then who?
(05-07-2022, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They still have like 2-3 years after he signs his extension before the cap number will balloon to really be a problem. Just because he signs for $50m/yr or whatever doesn't mean he immediately start costing $50m against the cap. It'll take a couple years to ramp up to there.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, there's all kinds of creative accounting that they can and will do. For one, I'm sure they'll start staggering contracts and juggling bonuses like there's no tomorrow. But the point remains: once Burrow goes from $9-10 mil today to $40 to 50 mil- or whatever it'll be- then fuhgetaboutit. That's a completely different ballgame. They'd better be ready to start moving guys in and out on the regular at that point, and they'll have bigger fish to fry than worrying about who their 5th option is.

There are only a select few cases right now where you have a legit max$ QB co-existing comfortably with max$ weapons. I don't know if that's why GB got rid of Adams (because Carr's making big coin as well) or KC Tyreek, but it's no mere coincidence. We're not living in the 90s anymore. The payroll pie is only so big.

But I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. It's important to enjoy this luxury today and cross that other bridge when we get to it. In some ways it'll be a good problem to have because it'll reflect a very successful team, one that's worth keeping together. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst........then who? - tms - 05-07-2022, 09:18 PM