Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
(06-05-2022, 05:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I understand hunting and all that, done it, but really?? anyone that goes "hunting" with an AR-15 doesn't plan to eat the meat from the hunt and it's silly to even use one for hunting ANIMALS.

So, I am an old school hunter that even uses single-shot rifles and the occasional bolt or lever action. I tell people all the time that use semi-automatic firearms while hunting that just means they aren't good enough shots. That being said, there are absolutely sporting uses for AR platform rifles. They are used most commonly for predator and nuisance animal control with coyotes, large rodents, hogs, etc. However, I have seen AR-10s in the woods hunting for deer and bear. They work just fine and fire the same round as my Ruger American, which is a .308. In fact, get ready for this, that AR-10 takes the same Magpul magazine as my bolt action Ruger.

Modern sporting rifles (which is what the firearms industry calls AR platform rifles) have a place in sporting. Are they going to be common on the western mountains where 700+ yard shots are more common? Nope. But will they be used in the eastern forests where shots typically don't go beyond 300 yards? All the damn time. I'm not going to use them, but many will and do.

Edit to add: In all seriousness, check out this site: https://www.nssf.org/msr/

The NSSF is the firearm industry trade organization, so there is a heavy bias, but the information on that page is accurate.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School - Belsnickel - 06-05-2022, 08:50 PM