Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I wasn't worried, now I'm worried. The Bengals are light at TE
(06-25-2022, 10:20 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmfao what?

Solid blocker, yes.

You must’ve been concussed recently if you think Sample is a decent receiver

IN 2020, when CJ Uzomah was lost for the season during a week 2 battle, Drew Sample, largely known as the "blocking TE", had 40 receptions for 349 yards and 1 TD.  He was ranked the 43rd receiving TE by PFF (for all TEs with at least 35 targets).  That was the only year of his three seasons when he was asked to be more of a receiving TE.  

One play that season, when a LB from Jacksonville (Myles Jack?) ripped a TD away from him and had a pick in the endzone KILLED his score for that game, and really dropped his season average.  His grade as a receiver that year (ranked 43rd) was just 5 points behind Zach Ertz, who was ranked 38th, 10 points behind Hayden Hurst (in his best season, who was ranked 31st) and 25 points behind Gronk (ranked 7th). 

He had significantly higher blocking ratings than all three of those TEs.   In fact, he was the 9th rated overall blocking TE in that group as well.  

He isn't a vertical threat, but he has a high catch %, is a solid blocker, and can move the chains when called upon.  

There are 32 NFL teams and he was ranked the 43rd best RECEIVING TE.  So, while he might not be a true #1 receiving threat as a TE, he is more than serviceable.  Again, he did that in his second season after a first season beset by injuries, after Uzomah was out injured.  I think the guy deserves more credit than you give him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I wasn't worried, now I'm worried. The Bengals are light at TE - SHRacerX - 06-25-2022, 11:36 AM