Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05.
(11-15-2015, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Football was much rougher, back in Munoz' day.  Back then, you likely never would have ever heard of a flag for unnecessary roughness on an Offensive Lineman.  Heck, back then there were no rules protecting the QB from high and low hits, or even getting hit after throwing the ball, let alone "defenseless receiver" calls..

I can remember watching, as a young boy, one of the Steelers (maybe Jack Lambert?) helicoptering Ken Anderson around by his face mask.  I can tell you, Kenny A. was certainly glad to see Munoz drafted. 

Btw, I agree that Cedric Ogbuehi is much more finess and athleticism than physicality.

It's easy to get enamored by the athleticism of a lineman. Yet on the OL, it's not nearly as important as some think. Ogbuehi has a very long way to go before he is ready for the NFL.
He carries his hands low and has poor punch timing. That leads to his hands getting wide and his chest open for defenders. 
He has to re-tool that whole aspect of his game. 
Secondly, he needs to greatly improve his core and lower body strength so he can be more effective in the run game and holding up vs stronger rushers. He's alright walling off, but he doesn't drive guys off the ball and he doesn't control his man when he loses. What makes Whitworth so great is even when he loses off the snap he is able to recover and reset himself quickly. Almost all great OTs can do this. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05. - RoyleRedlegs - 11-15-2015, 08:05 PM