Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05.
Yes, Ogbuehi was a better RT in college - but everyone I've talked to believe he's an NFL LT. He'll get every opportunity to earn that. But he'll start at RT with Whit being under contract.

Here's the thing about Bodine. I get his issues - but if you're looking at having millions of dollars spread among the line and across the team, they can't all make a ton of money - like Russell Wilson making that minimum salary so the Seahawks could stock up elsewhere. Bodine is making $714K next year and $804 Kin 2017. There are a finite number of dollars to spread around - I have a feeling Bodine is here as the starting center until his contract expires at least.

Here is how the projected starting line is paid out next year:
LT: Whitworth - $8 million
LG: Boling - $4.75
C: Bodine - 714K
RG: Zeitler - $8.07 million*
RT: Ogbuehi - $2.11 million**
Swing: Fisher $968K

*It makes sense to give Zeitler an extension this summer. They probably want to see him put together a healthy, full season. The game's best guard, Baltimore's Marshal Yanda signed a 4-year, $37.4 million this summer with $17.8 guaranteed ($9 million signing bonus). But, he's older. Obviously the fight will be over the signing bonus and up front money, but Zeitler is already guaranteed $8.07 million for next year - so the groundwork is set.

**They will save just over $4 million with Smith ($6.36 million this year) walking away.

Right now, only Boling ($5.45 million), Bodine ($804K), Ogbuehi ($2.54), Fisher ($1.16) are under contract for 2017.

Whit turns 34 in December. Thus far, he's earned an extra year on the extension. But going into the year when he turns 36 in 2017, it's hard to say he'll be able to play at a similarly high level.

I also think it's folly to just assume you can shuffle guys around. Boling only played guard and tackle in college. Just because he took snaps at that spot six years ago when he was a rookie, or even since - he's the no. 3 center on the depth chart behind T.J. Johnson. He's also in charge of the silent snap count. So you're not just 'moving' that guy that easily.

At the NFL level, only Whit has proven he can elsewhere, which is guard. So that means in 2016, you'd want to let Zeitler be the highest paid guard in the league for one year, and then let him walk away at the age of 26 so you can move a 34-year-old Whit to guard and *hope* he can play well for another 1-3 years?

This team has learned that you have to have the bulls up front in order for your $96 million QB hit his targets, so I think Zeitler and Marvin Jones are the priority this offseason on offense, Pacman and then Iloka on defense. They'll offer Dre an extension again (which he turned down this summer) and that will be the curious one. He's played a bit unevenly this year so far, so does he take the money - or gamble on himself with the $7 mill. guaranteed next year?
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05. - jowczarski - 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM