Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Confession of a Dalton Defender
(05-26-2015, 12:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: See, here's the thing: shouldn't the defense be bashed MORE for shitting the bed in the playoffs? I mean, you've got a guy who is average and arguably slightly above and below average (in other words, an argument can be made for him being slightly above average and an argument can be made for him being slightly below average) and you've got an elite defense.

In the playoffs, both your average QB and elite defense play like the 30th ranked. I would think that the element that was higher ranked would be more criticized. Yet, somehow it's not.

Yes, I know a lot of people bring this argument up as a defense of Andy, but forget about that for a second. Shouldn't the defense be receiving MORE flak for being MORE of a let down in the playoffs? (This isn't an accusation I'm leveling at you, djs, FYI)

In a way I understand this line of thinking. But at the same time, personally, I'm going to cut somebody slack that is proven to be great at what they do. The Bengals defense was a proven commodity that they were year in and year out a great squad. Was it VERY disappointing when they shit the bed? YES! I just think some fans and the media cut them slack because A.) They're not the QB (easiest target), and B.) They've proven to be great

I wasn't trying to make the statement to excuse the defense as much as I was trying to explain that Andy would probably get off the hook by more people if he was a top 5/10 QB throughout his career. He would definitely still have people bashing him, no doubt, but I know there would be more people like me out there that would give him a break because he has proven to be so good.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Confession of a Dalton Defender - PhilHos - 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Confession of a Dalton Defender - djs7685 - 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM