Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Confession of a Dalton Defender
(05-26-2015, 01:12 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: A consensus to something actually doesn't make it true. If that was the case then the earth would be flat, because back in the day everyone thought it was flat.

Okay, so you're just being intentionally combative. Noted.

(05-26-2015, 01:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: But how great are they if they continue to shit the bed in the playoffs?

I just don't understand why better players are held to lower standards. It should be the opposite. Think of it this way: you have 2 kids, twins, and they take all the same classes. One is always getting A's the other is always getting C's. On their final exam, they both get Fs. According to some Bengals fans, you should ream out the C student and punish them severely and the A student should just be like, "Meh," Seriously? I just don't get it.

I think it's a big leap to bring up an analogy of my children's test scores and what I think about the potential of a QB of the team I root for on Sundays. I do understand what you're trying to say with that, but those are two completely different situations. Let me try to explain my point a bit more and you may understand where I'm coming from.

In both scenarios, let's say that Andy's track record in the playoffs is exactly how it is right now. 4 games, none of them good, most/all of them terrible.

If I ask you why I should believe in Andy and all you have is 1 or 2 months out of his entire career to look at that he played very well in, then I'm going to be a bit skeptical.

If he was putting up Philip Rivers' numbers in the regular season but then coming up short in the playoffs, I wouldn't even have to ask anybody to give me reasons to believe in the guy. It would be obvious.

Andy hasn't really put together anything in his career that shows that 2015 will be any different than the last few seasons. If he had a 100 passer rating last year but still crapped out in the playoffs, at least I'd be able to point to his regular season success as something to be hopeful for, and maybe he could turn that into playoff success as well. There isn't much past a couple of months throughout a 4 year career that points to him becoming a good enough QB to overcome less than ideal scenarios put in front of him.

These aren't grades on a test, they're professional sports, and if there are any significant injuries or coaching mishaps this coming season, Andy hasn't shown much to make me believe he'll be able to overcome that.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Confession of a Dalton Defender - PhilHos - 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Confession of a Dalton Defender - djs7685 - 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM