Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
(08-31-2022, 03:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

2020 PFF Overall 52.1 Pass 60.7 Run 48.6

2021 PFF Overall 59.9 Pass 53.8. Run 60.4

2022 Preseason PFF Overall 65.4 Pass 76.7 Run 59.6

I'm not a PFF fan but the stats are what they are. He got 70 snaps this preseason BTW.

That is a good year last season compared to what our guys were doing besides Spain who had a good regular season.

Thanks for the numbers Joelist.

(08-31-2022, 03:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, relative to the miserable PFF pass grades we saw posted for the preseason with both Volson and Carman, this would be just fine. Those Carman/Volson preseason pass grades were head-shakingly poor. (Their run grades were fine.)

Edit: I found what fans had posted Jungle Noise threads. Carman had a PFF pass block grade of 34.8 for the Rams preseason game. Volson had a PFF pass block grade of 38.5 for the first two preseason grades. Yeah, Scharping looks just fine from that standpoint.

All true.

(08-31-2022, 03:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Maybe the thought is Scharping will do well in our blocking scheme rather than what he was previously in.

Pollack wouldn't of wanted him if he didn't think he would fit his scheme.

(08-31-2022, 04:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Scharping seems to be an OK pass blocker. Thats what this team needs

Volson and Carman are both poor in pass pro. Carman especially

True.

(08-31-2022, 04:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals need a good run blocker at guard. Run blocking was a huge reason the Bengals were on of the worst redzone and 3rd and short teams in the NFL.

I know everyone is super focused on protecting Joe Burrow but if they dont improve in the redzone and short yardage they will struggle this season.

Between our new guys in Cappa, Karras and Collins and Jonah, Volson and Carman we should be much better this year.

(08-31-2022, 04:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: last season 3/5 of the o-line couldnt pass block, let alone run block. 

Collins and Cappa help with run blocking as well as pass blocking. Karras is a better run blocker than Hopkins was. Jonah is a good run blocker.

Bengals already have good run blockers. The run blocking is going to be better in 2022. Im all for a LG who may lack ideal run blocking skill, but can protect Burrow with decent pass pro skill.

Unless you really want Volson or Carman starting over Scharping, which I dont think you actually want

Plus Pollack is good at coaching up run blocking compared to pass protection.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-31-2022, 05:18 PM