Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow "There's nothing down the field if teams play us like they (Ravens) did"
(10-10-2022, 11:00 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't get any of what's happening with this team right now.  

When Burrow came out of LSU, He wasn't a big arm quarterback prototype that lived and died by the long ball.  He was a hyper-accurate passer that fit throws into tight windows and also happened to have a good enough deep ball to be an elite player.  Hell, his ability to throw deep was questioned pretty intensely leading up to the draft.  His ability to excel in the intermediate passing game was one of the most enticing things about him as a prospect.  

You can't really say he's prone to locking onto a single target, either, because he's always had an embarrassment of weapons and he'd been good at feeding them all.  Chase, Jefferson, Marshall, Edwards-Elaire, Moss.  None of them complained about targets or touches because they were all utilized when appropriate.  The weaponry here is about as close as a qb will come to that in the NFL.

Practically all of the greats has great primary targets, but the true elite ones still had guys underneath that they fed the ball when downfield options were covered up.  Brady would kill defenses with Welker and Edelman when you took away Moss or Gronk.  Manning did the same with Clark and later Welker.  Those offenses dared defenses to key in on wrs downfield,  The would kill teams dinking and dunking all day if they had to.  

We have the personnel for this.  It's a broken record.  Tyler Boyd is as good as any of the guys I mentioned.  Instead of stubbornly forcing the ball to Ja'marr all game, they need to wear out Boyd until some has to adjust to stop him.  Same with Hurst.  They need to make defenses adjust if they want the deep ball to return.

Burrow bears some responsibility, but at the end of the day, a full season of mismanagement of this offensive talent should be fireable.  No way it should take this long to adjust to a standard NFL defense like the Tampa 2.

Well that senior year, LSU rolled they had so much talent at college level look at the players that are in the NFL and defenses were over matched etc. .the NFL is different, the window of ability is less and coaches game plan much better ie Bengals and Lamar.  As pointed out in another post, Burrow past 9 games has had no wow game of big offense.. he has two games of 300 yards and 3 tds passing in those 9.  Pretty much every play Burrow touches the ball so accountability has to rest with him also with the coaches especially Taylor

I am a Packer fan and trust me ive seen Rodgers do more with less with players and management decisions, and look back at Luck, Colts did not do a good job in management with him either but he was able to take over a bad team and overcome to have a winning record and 4 playoff appearances. 

I don;t think these are separate issue, management and our top players on offense are both responsible for our start.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow "There's nothing down the field if teams play us like they (Ravens... - Essex Johnson - 10-10-2022, 11:20 AM