Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Trump Announces Presidential Bid for 2024
(11-19-2022, 11:17 AM)samhain Wrote: Trump was the battering ram for many of the recent policy wins for the right, but they were largely executed by more sober and calculating players-of-the-game like McConnell and judge Thomas.  Mitch is IMO the main architect of the modern conservative movement, and he's arguably the most effective legislator in modern US history.  Trump was the face and voice of the party, but does anyone think this shift would have occurred without Mitch's persistence and gamesmanship?

I have to raise my hand here. I think your whole system determines a shift to happen, sooner or later. There were eight years of a liberal presidency, it was time for a swing. If it had not happened in 2016, it would have been pretty much bound to happen in 2020, or 2024 at the very latest, no matter who the republican candidate is at this point. And, imho, no matter whether the GOP as a whole is in a good or a lousy shape.

(11-19-2022, 11:17 AM)samhain Wrote: My point is, McConnell and the adults in the party like a good lib-owning as much as anyone, but they like power better.

Sure they do, that's the point. They don't care about the means, if it means backing an insufferable human being that owns the libs, then they go with that. Even though I am pretty much convinced that McConnell and quite some others personally detest the guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Announces Presidential Bid for 2024 - hollodero - 11-19-2022, 12:13 PM