Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We all said ZT couldn't coach...
(12-06-2022, 03:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'll be the first to eat crow.

I always liked ZT as a head coach, but always thought his offense was lacking. It was set up on go balls to Chase and his offense wasn't sustainable.

After the first half of the season, a lot of us complained about the offense and how we couldn't beat cover two.

Well, this offense has evolved remarkably since then. They are using the entire field, throwing intermediate, and running with consistency.

I think we need to give ZT and his offensive staff a TON of credit for adjusting on the fly and turning this offense around from one dimensional to completely fluent.

Bengals EPA vs Cover 2
First 6 weeks: -.07 (28th in league)
After week 6: .36 (1st)

That is incredible.

This subject came up last year after play-off wins on way to Super Bowl.  I pointed out that I was given a hard time on this site in 2019 and 2020 because I said Coach Taylor needs more time.  That Coach Lewis left the cupboard bare and this team was a disaster area when Coach Taylor was hired.  That it was silly to expect a good team in Coach Taylors first 2 years here.  Add in that 2020 Covid did not even allow the new coach to have preseason games and spring camps to look at who to keep and who to cut. I also pointed out that coaches do not line up to come to Cincinnati. So I was one of the few on here who said to give Coach Taylor more time, that 2 years was not enough. 

Some on here remembered me saying that when this subject came up last season.  So they said they did remember my saying to keep Coach Taylor on all the fire Taylor posts during his first 2 years.  Of course I was remembering what Paul Brown said when he became coach of the Bengals, he said do not expect a winning team the first few years.  I feel the Bengals were in a complete rebuild like an expansion team when Coach Taylor was hired. 

Now that said, I feel one of the worst coached games by Coach Taylor was this years 2022 game at Cleveland.  Taylor has a bad habit of wanting to pass every play, and he fell into this mode against Cleveland at Halloween.  Pass, Pass, Pass.  So Cleveland only had to cover the receivers and sack Burrow on defense.  During and after this game TV announcers were all over Coach Taylor for not even trying to run on Cleveland in this loss.  The Bengals at this point were 4-4 on the season and going nowhere.  Coach Taylor must have listened, because since then it has been big games by Mixon and Perine and 4 straight wins to get to 8-4.  Now comes Cleveland again.  If Coach Taylor goes Pass, Pass, Pass all game again and loses, that will be just stupid coaching.  I'm hoping he has learned and will get Mixon and Perine involved as they have been in the last 4 wins.  Plus, teams are beating Cleveland with their running backs. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - 3wt - 12-06-2022, 03:39 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - 3wt - 12-09-2022, 03:18 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - J24 - 12-06-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - CJD - 12-09-2022, 03:49 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - CJD - 12-10-2022, 01:38 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - kevin - 12-10-2022, 04:28 PM