Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges
(01-11-2023, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Depends how you look at it.

From what I notice, a majority of society is becoming far more supportive of inclusivity than what it was 30+ years ago.

A lot of the Republican (or at least old-school and now far-right) views seem to be opposite of that.

As long as Republicans have that view (or at least have the perception of having that view), they will be very unlikely to have a majority (at a national level, at least).

It'll be interesting to see where things go for the rest of my life.  Americans used to become more conservative as they aged because steady employment used to be more consistent in leading to the accumulation of wealth and therefore an increased approval for measures by which to conserve said wealth.  The GOP always had a playbook that used social and religious buzzwords to distract people while they pushed a financial agenda that wasn't in their best interest.

Many of the people who vote GOP but probably shouldn't are lower-middle class former union workers and retired rural types and they respond to "We're going to cut programs you need, but that's secondary to banning gay books and stopping sex trafficking drag queens."  As they begin to die off, the GOP is going to have to more economically depressed people to deal with who are less religious and more socially progressive.

All you have to do to judge the economic decline of America is look at Homer Simpson.  In 1989 that show was supposed to be a realistic look at a family that didn't have the sit-com staple, Cosby Show-style upper class life.  They were supposed to represent the situation of real imperfect people, but Homer also had a GED, a one income household, 3 kids, 2 cars, and a house...so it seems positively upper class by today's standards.

There are people my age and younger that respond to the GOP's current approach, but they're still going to have to change things up if they plan on staying relevant, I think. 

Trickle down economics was sold to people in a time where my ol' man had no college education but had a factory job where he had 2 kids and a house and two decent cars and my mom didn't have to work until I was 11 and my sister was 8.  Selling the idea that we need to cut taxes on the ultra rich because they're going to give you jobs that you can work 40+ hours a week for the rest of your life and still be relatively poor, is a much harder task...or at least it should be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Nately120 - 01-11-2023, 04:42 PM