Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The death of P&R and what it says about where we are.
I want to just jump back in here and say that you should not confuse my discouragement with the discourse as apathy towards the political situation in this country. I am still very much engaged, contacting the offices of my elected officials when something peaks my interest. Voting in every election. Even writing letters to the editor of local media around here (yes, I am one of those). I just want to caution folks feeling the same frustration with our situation from slipping into apathy. When the average citizen becomes apathetic, the extremes gain more traction. There will always be jackasses on the extremes looking to pull their politicians towards their views. The more apathetic the majority of citizens become, the more power they hold in setting the agenda for what goes on in our legislative bodies.

It's fine to recognize that you aren't going to change minds, but don't disengage entirely. Make sure you stay active and support those you want to see in office. Encourage your like-minded friends and family to do the same. The apathy of the reasonable will lead to the rise of the unreasonable, and we are seeing enough of that right now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The death of P&R and what it says about where we are. - Belsnickel - 03-06-2023, 08:17 AM