Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024!
(09-11-2023, 05:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interestingly, children from single parent households in which the father is the parent fair much better.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2001/07/09/study-children-fare-better-with-divorced-dads-factors-besides-income-were-of-benefit-to-fathers/62139586007/

Historically, there is only one reason such a claim might be made - a father's higher income. No doubt it's true, single fathers with custody tend to make more money than single mothers. In fact, they tend to make more money than the average father.

But Farrell discovered that even when the father and mother had equal income, the children who were with their father full time - boys and girls - did better than those with their moms full time.

Overall, children living with dads were less likely to have discipline problems. Does this mean that dads were more likely to resort to physical punishment? No. Moms were. And they used physical discipline more frequently. Nevertheless, children living with their moms were more likely to exhibit frequent temper tantrums.

This is from a study by Dr. Warren Farrell, from his book Father and Child Reunion.  I guess the dismissal of the importance of fathers has had some unintended consequences.

My parents were divorced when I was 8.  My mom told me that when she explained that my dad would be leaving I said "Now I can do what I want".  My mom was bad with discipline, my dad, not so much.  lol.

I lived with my mom until I was 12 at which time I decided to go live with my dad.  I had a much more structured and disciplined environment.  The reason I chose to go with my dad were dumb kid reasons.  He had a house, so much more space then the small cramped apartment, more things to do that interested me, my 2 half sisters were there (not a dumb reason.  lol).

Anyway, my point is that I can look back and see first hand how having a father in the house makes a big difference.  At least for me, but I would imagine this is more of a normal human family structure thing.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024! - Mickeypoo - 09-12-2023, 04:47 PM