Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drugs That Keep You Calm?
There are several options. Like some have already advised talk with your doctor or a psychiatrist to discuss your options.

Behavior modification therapy doesn't involve medication, but teaches techniques to cope with anxiety. That would be one of my first recommendations.

Propranolol is usually used for high blood pressure, but can be used for anxiety like stage fright situations.  Musician might take it before a performance.  An executive might take it before an important presentation.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine which can be used for anxiety, but makes most people drowsy.

SSRIs such as Prozac or Celexa can be used for anxiety, but you need to take them daily and it may take up to 6 weeks to reach their peak effect.  There are many SSRIs some are better at anxiety than depression, some are vice versa, some are more likely to cause certain side effects than others.  You may need to try more than one to find the one best for you, just like people and their high blood pressure medication.

Benzodiazepines: Ativan, Valium, Xanax, etc. Some people take them situationally as needed.  Some people take them daily.  If you take them daily you will become physically dependent upon them and must be weaned off to discontinue them or you will go through withdrawal. That is not the some as addiction.  Addiction is misuse of a medication for other than therapeutic effect.  With that said, these can be addictive and are often misused and one of the most common classes of medications sought by drug seekers. I try to avoid prescribing these if possible.

Medical marijuana.  Unless the laws in KY have changed, not an option for you. I've seen veterans with legal prescription for medical marijuana to treat anxiety or PTSD because they didn't like benzodiazepines. They couldn't get the prescription filled in KY. They couldn't fill it legally out of state and cross state lines into KY because that was illegal.  Personally, I would probably rather smoke medical marijuana for PTSD than take Xanax.

I take Wellbutrin everyday.  I don't really notice feeling different while taking it, but my family notices a difference. So I take it more for their benefit than mine. (That's a joke. Kinda.) Because if I'm treating them better because I'm less dickish it improves our relationships which is to my benefit.  But I do tell patients I take it for my family's benefit because then they are more accepting of considering taking medications for their mental health because some people are resistant to the idea. They may be afraid of what others will think. Or they think it is a sign of weakness. Or they are worried about job implications.  Or side effects.  Etc. Etc.

I also take clonazepam as needed when anxiety gets really bad. It is a benzodiazepine. I don't like taking them, either. I have the same 30 tablet bottle from August. But, sometimes they are necessary.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/generalized-anxiety-disorder-in-adults-management
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Drugs That Keep You Calm? - BFritz21 - 03-23-2023, 02:38 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - basballguy - 03-23-2023, 04:52 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - BFritz21 - 03-23-2023, 05:24 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - BFritz21 - 03-23-2023, 07:44 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - basballguy - 03-23-2023, 05:46 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-24-2023, 12:59 AM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - BFritz21 - 03-24-2023, 04:41 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - bfine32 - 03-24-2023, 10:24 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - BFritz21 - 03-24-2023, 10:44 PM
RE: Drugs That Keep You Calm? - jfkbengals - 03-26-2023, 04:18 PM