Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-19-2023, 06:10 PM)pally Wrote: McCarthy was voted out because he handed a hangman's noose to his extreme right-wing by allowing a single person to bring in an order to vacate motion.  Every single Democrat voted against that rules package.

If McCarthy, had told his caucus to "stuff it"  that they were going to abide by the deal they made with the debt ceiling increase, he might have received some Democratic votes to save his Speakership.  He lied to them.  He reaped what he sowed.

Exactly. The one who got shafted by his own party and then reneged on the deal he had already made can tell us about making a deal with the devil? I think it is pretty clear to everyone but the most brainwashed who the devil is in this scenario.

(10-19-2023, 06:10 PM)pally Wrote: Republicans can certainly keep the government closed for 4 months if they choose but that only proves to the world they can't govern when given the chance.  And if you think that people think the economy is bad now, just wait until the Republicans plunge millions into unemployment

Well, they've already proven they can't govern. Even some of the former Republican lawmakers have been saying as much. But this won't just impact our economy. This current situation limits the aid we can send to Ukraine and to Israel. It impacts so many things. I have a friend who is a civilian contractor at the NGIC and is also a reservist intel officer who attaches to SOF units. His area of focus in the Baltics, kind of an important area of focus right now. He was supposed to be deploying in a week but because of the situation in Congress, the funds aren't there. His deployment, and thus the mission he was going to be a part of, is indefinitely delayed. Now, I have no idea what he would be doing over there, I just know that he is specifically requested by the SOF community, so take that for what it is.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Belsnickel - 10-19-2023, 07:51 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM