Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
(03-27-2024, 11:27 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: I wouldn't get your hopes up on OBJr. He has always allowed a ton of pressures. In 2022, he allowed 58 pressures. This is who he is, we just wanted to believe he was actually an elite/pro-bowl level tackle when we signed him. 

I watched it happen when the Ravens traded him (Ravens fans telling Chiefs fans that he actually isn't very good) and I watched Chiefs fans tell us he wasn't very good. Both the Chiefs fans (at the time) and us last offseason claimed it was just fans "hating", but I think the fact of the matter is, those fan bases watched him each game and saw who he was as a player. 

The thing about OBJr is that he usually gets allows the same type of pressure, speed atound the edge. It still counts as a pressure, but the QB can deal with it easily if the middle allows a step up. 

He graded out at 66.1 via PFF. He allowed 7 sacks. Tied for 13th amongst tackles. Had a knock midseason that hurt his play, and Burrow's lack of mobility to start did not help. 

The only postseason sack he has ever allowed was vs Hendrickson.  

Brown: 66.1, 7 sacks (T13th) 
Williams: 58.5, 8 sacks (T8th) 
Cappa: 64.9, 4 sacks (T20th) 
Karras: 67.4, 6 sacks (T2nd) 
Volson: 58.3, 5 sacks (T9th). 

Now, sacks are not everything. And PFF gets things wrong sometimes. 

But Brown was certainly better than Williams and our 2nd best lineman in terms of overall grade and sacks allowed at position. 

He had a poor year by his standards ladt year, but I expect he'll be better with a more healthy Burrow. Even at his peak, he is borderline Pro Bowl not All-Pro level. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cordell Volson and this offensive line - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-27-2024, 02:25 PM