Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million
(12-21-2023, 12:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What you're seeing from the people defending this ridiculous amount is a willingness, or more accurately an eagerness, to use civil litigation as a weapon.  Civil litigation is intended as a remedy, to redress a wrongdoing and make the victims as whole as possible.  What you're seeing now is it being used as a tool to both crush offenders and to serve as a warning to anyone who might dare step out of line down the road.  They're saying this openly, in this very thread.  They're basically advocating for lawfare.  If you dare comment on the absurdity of the dollar amount, well then you're a Trump defender who doesn't care about our democracy.

The problem with using the law as a threat and a weapon instead of a framework for a civil society is that, as with any such tool, it can easily be used against you when those in power change.  I honestly don't know which is more obscene, the people who view these trials solely as witch hunt, or the ones who celebrate their excesses like they're at a public execution.

I'd disagree with this take because the law is there for a reason but defamation is not easy to prove, and also I'd wager most cases are not as politically charged as this one.

In this case politics gets involved because of what Rudy said about the victims and what their job was.

And, again, because he was lying about election integrity I'd say the case was of a little more importance and worthy of being tried.

Also he could have tried to settle as many others in the list I provided did.  He took a risk and lost.  

I don't know what the "right" number is.  No one in this thread has provided an answer to that either.  So this is the number for now, which I'm sure will be lowered on appeal.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million - GMDino - 12-21-2023, 01:28 PM