Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl: Who Ya Got or Do you Care?
(01-01-2024, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO you cannot blame an NFL team for not voluntarily forfeiting a game. That fell directly on the NFL. Also, I do believe BUF was one of the few teams to side with us on the proposal.

WTS, I looked at it more from a fanbase POV. 

No, Buffalo did not side with the Bengals. Only Miami and Chicago did. Buffalo was one of four teams that abstained. And thus Buffalo in essence supported the idea of a change in the rules that could have meant despite the Bengals winning the division, and having the higher percentage of wins, they still would be subjected to a coin flip to decide home field advantage against the Ravens.  And Buffalo simply left the area, before a league decision on finishing the game, thus essentially tying the league's hands in terms of declaring a non-contest.

For us old-timers, Buffalo was also the franchise that pushed the NFL to change the rule right before a playoff game (I think less that 24-hours before the game) with the Wyche-led Bengals that stopped the Bengals season-long use of its no-huddle offense. They beat Buffalo but the change might have cost the Bengals a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Super Bowl: Who Ya Got or Do you Care? - Nepa - 01-01-2024, 07:09 PM
RE: Super Bowl: Who Ya Got or Do you Care? - IcoHolic - 01-16-2024, 09:01 AM