Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ?
(01-12-2024, 04:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Under, for sure. 

I mean, other than Henry, actually landing the DT targets, or Winfield, is a pretty long shot. Even at OT, Smith may be a Cowboy for life. If the Pats go QB in the draft, which they should, I doubt they let their best OL walk. Beyond those two, I do not love the FA OT class. 

The Dolphins are in salary cap hell, so maybe Wilkins gets away. If he does he won't be cheap. Though we could mitigate by releasing BJ Hill.  

Schultz likely won't be a bargain and we do not spend on TEs. And I doubt we spend big on S, CB, or DE having just picked Dax, Turner, and Murphy. 

Most likely, I think we keep Mixon and watch helplessly as KC/BALT/CLE/MIAMI/PITT sign Henry. Honestly, I think Joe was fine last year, but Henry is a different level. I mean, we feast on the light box with Henry, methinks. 

Anyway, I think we mostly strike out on big fish and circle back to re-signing our own guys save for Jonah, taking an OT in Rd1, and going from there (likely DT/NT in Rd 2&3). 

I'd could be VERY happy with: 
1. Sign Tee & Reader 
2. Sign Henry/cut Mixon 
3. Whatever combo pack we can do with the rest as long as Browning & Hudson are back: vet OT (Brown/Smith), Schultz, big ticket DT/S/CB (Wilkins, Winfield, Sneed, unlikely), Chido, Boyd, depth CB/S. 

Picking #18, we most assuredly could get, if we want: 

1) A good RT/OT prospect: Latham, Mims, Fuaga, Guyton (all RTs) or Morgan, Suamataia, or Paul even if we move back. I think one of those RTs, likely 2 or more, is there, plus the 2ndctier LTs. 

2) Some of the top tier CB prospects: Wiggins is probably gone, but one of McKinstry, DeJean, Armold, Lassiter, or Mitchell is likely there.

3) The top NT guy (Sweat) or a very good DT prospect (Murphy). Either could be had in Rd2, but might not last to our pick. I like McKinley Jackson (NT) in Rd3, but not sure is he a Reader replacement right away. 

4) A very good WR2-3: Coleman is unlikely, but Thomas, Legette, Franklin, Mitchell, & McConkey are all there, many much later or Rd 2-3 with Polk, Corley, either Wilson, or McMillan.

I'd love Newton (DT) or Bowers (TE), but winning that last came cost us 4 spots & I do not see either guy lasting to #18. 

A few years back, The Rams went all in and Won a Super Bowl then had to sort of start from scratch to a degree (so to speak) with a rebuild.

I think the Bengals are in a Super Bowl Window.

If they stay in this somewhat "safe", Draft and develop with not so BOLD off seasons mindset, how long do you see the "Window" staying open ?

It may stay open longer this way while never getting it done with a Super Bowl Win like the Rams did.

Not saying 2024 has to be the Year to go all out BOLD but they may have to at some point before the Window closes.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ? - depthchart - 01-12-2024, 04:58 PM