Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliable Source Says Tee Wants To Stay Here, Likely Tagged
(01-18-2024, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ahh I forgot he was tagged in 2012.
I was thinking maybe it was Shayne Graham, but he got tagged in 2009 and then played elsewhere in 2010.
Looks like Nugent is the only one in the past 20 years to get tagged and then signed after.

It's extremely, extremely rare (at least for the Bengals) to see a player get a long-term contract after being tagged.
Typically, they go elsewhere after the tag year.

Hypothetical then for people...
If Higgins is tagged but not signed to a long-term deal and thus really just a 1-year rental at $20+ mill?
Or would they be better served putting $20 mill toward a different position (or two) and maybe getting a WR in the draft?

Bengals depend heavily on their wide receivers as an offense. You're increasing your chance of issues when you throw in 2 first time starters in the same position group. If one is a B-Level cheaper FA there could also be growing pains in a new system getting chemistry with a new QB. 

Even if the Franchise Tag is an overpay Tee Higgins is close enoguh that number that the instant chemistry and scheme fit is worth it in a solid Super Bowl window. Now Tee Higgins after 2024? That's alot less likely.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reliable Source Says Tee Wants To Stay Here, Likely Tagged - Synric - 01-18-2024, 01:14 PM