Poll: If Tyler Boyd was used as the #2 WR in 2024 – How well would he do ? – POLL
600 yards or less
601 to 700 yards
701 to 800 yards
801 to 900 yards
901 to 1,000 yards
Over 1,000 yards
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If Tyler Boyd was used as the #2 WR in 2024 – How well would he do ? – POLL
(01-23-2024, 12:13 PM)depthchart Wrote: So Tyler Boyd's best season in 2019 of 1,046 yards when he was around 25 years old is tarnished & "bad" because he had 148 targets.

He should have been cut the next year ?   -or-   Sent to the Practice Squad based on 2019 Targets

Is it always the receiver's fault that a Target is not successful ?

You may be hanging way too much on "Targets" as the be all and end all.  I do think that it is one indicator to be considered with others.

12.4 yards per Catch in 2021 and 13.1 yards per Catch in 2022   then down around 10 yards per Catch in 2023 (Burrow Calf & Browning)

At 29 years old, Boyd could have some value.   Likely #3 WR value.

I do think that he could be used for a year to hold down a #2 role while other areas of the Team were built up. (say OT. DT, RB, Corner, TE)

Would making Boyd the #2 be my first choice ?  No       But what if the Bengals did do it as part of some larger Plan where TEE is Traded ?

*TEE Higgins best year 110 Targets with 1,091 yards.  Were TEE's yards per Target special during his best season ?  BIG Money special ?

I'm not saying it's bad.  I'm saying there's lots of mediocre WR's on bad teams that put up 1k yards by virtue of being the best WR on a bad team that's playing from behind all the time.  There's plenty of Darnell Mooney's, DJ Chark's, Kenny Golladay's out there.  Just like all 1000 yard rushers aren't equal, neither are all 1000 yard receivers.  

Didn't say that at all.  

No stat is perfect for WR comps.  However, yards/target is infinitely better than yards/reception because it actually includes yards/reception.  Yards/catch is much easier to get a false evaluation off of.  If a guy gets 100 targets and only catches one pass for 20 yards, his yards/catch will be 20, which is outstanding.  However, his yards/target indicate that the guy sucks 

It's not always the WR's fault an individual target doesn't work out, just like it's not necessarily outstanding if they get a catch.  If a defender falls down, there's a busted coverage, the D is in prevent, etc, the receiver still gets credit even though they did very little.

Throwing stats out the window, what does Boyd bring to the table?  Even in his prime, he was an ineffective boundary receiver and had to be put in the slot.  Is he a deep threat?  No, not unless there's a busted coverage.  Jump ball threat?  No.  Smart?  We literally had to do away with the choice routes he was running because he constantly misread the coverage and the ball kept getting picked off.  RAC threat?  No.  Sure handed?  We used to be able to say that, but last year shakes that confidence?  Clutch?  Hxll to the naw!  No DC sweats being able to stop Boyd.  You trot him out at WR2 against the Ravens and Harbaugh will laugh and tell Marlon Humphrey to follow him everywhere and erase his sorry xss like he used to before we got Tee and Chase. 

The only reason I can see anyone wanting Boyd back next year is they bought his jersey and are self-conscious about being "that guy" sporting a non-current player's jersey m
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If Tyler Boyd was used as the #2 WR in 2024 – How well would he do ? – POLL - Whatever - 01-23-2024, 06:57 PM