Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd!
(01-29-2024, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: The issue I have with this is that the Bengals coaches also do a good amount of scouting.  As the OL coach, it's his job to scout and recommend guys that fit his scheme and the offense.  For example, I remember an interview he did where he said that Tobin asked him to look at and see if he could use Orlando Brown Jr. and he was enthusiastically all for it.  

Wide zone heavy schemes require good athletes, but everything out of the guy's mouth is "glass eaters".  I wonder if he's prioritizing that "glass eater" trait(whatever that means) over the athletic tools he needs to run his preferred scheme in evaluations.  

However, the quickest, easiest run game fix is addressing the RB position.  Our backs leave so much yardage on the field it's not even funny, especially since they constantly face light boxes as teams sit back in 2 deep zone with their S's all game.  Getting a legit RB threat that can actually make teams pay for sitting light in the box would do a lot of good for this offense as it gradually moves towards getting better athletes as contracts expire.

Yeah, the scheme fit evaluation is puzzling. Personally, I think if Cincinnati had a more talented backfield and operated more under center with heavy play-action, this line would be great. However, that's not really playing to Burrow's strengths, nor does Cincinnati have a strong backfield but that's another conversation. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd! - KillerGoose - 01-29-2024, 03:54 PM