Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
Onto my 2nd second tier FA position of need, safety.

6. Safety

A. Signed

Player, Cap, Dead Cap, FA Yr, PFF L3, 2023 Snaps
1. D. Hill: $3,181,913; $6,894,144; '26/'27, 51.6/58.1/x, 1,091 D + 82 ST.
2. Battle: $1,210,231; $654,555; '27; 82.5/x/x, 525 D + 190 ST
-----------------Starter Line----------
3. Scott: $4,300,000; $2,000,000; '26; 41.6/54.2/47.5, 571 D + 190 ST.
4. Anderson (inj): $1,061,521; $153,042; '26; x/x/x; Zero D + 123 ST.
------------Reserve Line---------

B. Unsigned

Player, FA Status, PFF L3, 2023 Snaps
------------Reserve Line--------
1. M. Thomas: UFA, x/58.6/52.9, Zero
-----------PS/Future's Line-------

C. Analysis

Like CB, at one level this seems relatively straighforward. We carry 4. We have 4 signed. One is a rookie who excelled after winning a starting job midseason (Battle). The other an uber-athletic 1st round pick transitioning from corner. Let them develop and any changes can be for depth for the underprrforming Scott or the largely untested, oft injured Anderson.

The questions start with Hill. He seemed to get worse, not better, as the year wore on at FS. The coaches seemed to point a finger at the S play when explaining the poor run D and LB play. And have talked of giving Battle the dot & moving him to FS. Does that mean moving Hill closer to the LOS (where most of his better play happened) or to CB (where he has little boundary exp and would be Hilton's backup?

And if Hill is moved to CB, we assuredly need another S. Scott did not play well and is the highest paid backup on the team. Starting him sends shudders. But cutting him serms reckless given Hill's uncertain play & future and the fact that Anderson has played zero snaps at safety in two years AND is coming off a major injury.

M. Thomas was on the PS last year but was a special teamer when he was last on the roster. As a PS guy, sure. Be cannot be on the 53 playing defensive snaps.

It is a weak S draft class (though thete are some good ones) and a strong/deep FA class.

I think the FO most likely sticks it out with Battle & Hill, but makes the adjustment of Battle at FS & Hill at SS. I think a value vet FA signing is possible and if so, then Hill likely moves to a reserve as a CB/S hybrid/TE stopper and Scott gets cut (but maybe not till Anderson is back). And we maybe play more 3 S looks on 3rd instead of 2 LBs, which would be welcome.

I'd make a run at Winfield if I have $$ left after my targeted DT/OT players are off the board (Reader, L. Williams, Wilkins, Jones, Onwenu, Johnson, Sneed). But outside of DJ & Williams, those guys are longshots. As is Winfield.

If a value FA signing does not happen, I think a pick to replace Scott & save us some cap is likely. But probably Day 3. I think too many other holes for Day 2. Nubin is tempting, though.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM