Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-01-2024, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that the Bengals are in the position to get a seriously good, older veteran that might be looking to make a Superbowl run.  And just think of how the young secondary would benefit from a voice of experience helping them develop that chemistry?

I think it has a cumulative impact on the defense.  The potential improvement in the secondary is obvious.  The linebackers seemingly declined, but it's been said that they played tentative due to not trusting the young DBs to know their roles.  The IDL needs help, but this is an attrition thing with Reader.  This group used to be really stout against the run with a identical front seven to the one they had in 2023.  This might lead one to believe that they secondary is the source of the issues, particularly communication and football smarts/experience.

Are they going to get a Jesse Bates caliber centerfielder?  Almost definitely not.  However, I think with a vet presence back there to keep things tight, the young guys would have a shot a reaching their potential.  I like our corners in CTB and Turner.  I blame none of last year on CTB.  Turner had some mental errors later, but I think that's somewhat expected from a second round rookie.  His athletic ability can't be taught.  He just needs a little more time in Lou's system.  

I don't think Hill or Battle are ideal fits for the Bates role.  Both could potentially do what Bell did, but Bell had top-end football smarts.  He also took several years in the league to become the player he was here.  When his rookie deal expired in New Orleans, he wasn't exactly a hot commodity on the FA market.  He was considered a very limited box safety of the variety that was becoming obsolete.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread - samhain - 03-02-2024, 10:30 AM