Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TOP 1% of US earners have now more wealth than the whole middle class.
(02-18-2024, 04:11 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I've seen different numbers, but most commonly I think on an annual basis it's about $400k for an individual annually, and closer to $500k for a married couple.  But most people are only in this group once or twice in their career thanks to a company sale (equity) or a one-time bonus from landing the whale of a lifetime.

I think the better measure is net worth, and from that perspective I think 1% is @ $10M.

The popular target for taxes always seem to be "making over $250k".  And that's far from rich, especially when you consider the COL in the cities where many people making that money live.  These are also people reaching the pinnacle of their earnings power, maybe the last 10 years of their career if they're lucky.  So we're talking about soaking these people at a time in their career where they're finally at a point to start accumulating some real wealth.  But, nope, the tax man cometh.

People always rant about "trickle down economics", but in my experience - and plenty of research backs it up - TAXES almost always do "trickle down".  Do people still really believe that raising taxes and costs on Amazon will result in lower margins for Amazon?   But there's research on that, too, that the less transparent actual tax burdens are the less people notice and complain.

My bad. I thought it was top 1% of wealth holders.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: TOP 1% of US earners have now more wealth than the whole middle class. - michaelsean - 02-18-2024, 04:28 PM