Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
“Welcome to the end of democracy."
(02-23-2024, 05:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I won't derail beyond this, but Norm was very well known for being a staunch Christian.  He didn't do political humor because he thought it was lazy, a cheap laugh, and also divides your audience..  Consequently most people didn't get a sense of his political leanings.  He was well loved because he was epicly funny in a totally unique way.  He also, by all accounts I have read, was a very considerate and thoughtful person.

Andy Richter used to be the butt of the joke when Norm was on Conan (Norm is on record as loving the era of talk shows where the sidekick got verbally abused).  One of the topics he kept coming back to was joking that Andy was gay.  Andy didn't like it as he took it to be meant as being gay was somehow a bad thing to be.  But he then related that his sister was backstage and ran into Norm and that Norm was the only person who sat and had a conversation with her like a normal person, and seemed genuinely interested in their discussion.  So, even though he didn't like Norm's jabs at times he respected him as a person.

It's towards the end.  I'll stop now.

As for humor in general, in order to be funny you have to be able to laugh at yourself.  You can't take yourself too seriously (see Eddie Murphy and why he stopped being funny).  Neither of those traits are traditionally conservative.  But I would apply the same label to much of the left now as well.

Interesting.  If brevity is the source of wit, maybe knowing when to scale things back is the source of likability, or something.  You may not be able to tell by the way I act on here, but I'm not one to talk politics IRL with most folks and I've noticed that people who like me tend to assume I'm of their political persuasion eventually.  It makes sense in a sort of egotistical "I like you and you seem like you have your head on straight, therefore you must be and think like me" way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: “Welcome to the end of democracy." - Nately120 - 02-23-2024, 05:42 PM