Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people
(03-15-2024, 10:57 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Alright you got me there.

Well to be clear, I'm not arguing that you can't call it a cult. I think you should actually be allowed to call it a cult when the intention is to argue your point about the movement. I was just saying I don't think it's fair to say people shouldn't be offended by it. At the same time, I don't think people being offended by it should be cause for it's usage to be banned. That's a slippery slope in my opinion.

Is that the MAGA movement though? Perhaps I'm uninformed here, but I always just saw the MAGA movement as the people who support Trump and not necessarily a group of people who are strangely devoted to him. I mean, I voted for Trump twice and I considered myself "MAGA" but I never saw myself as anything other than someone who supports Trump. And I think a lot of people that I would consider "MAGA" feel this way as well. 

I'm not so sure I agree with the bold here.

What I find interesting about the whole MAGA thing is that it literally was just a slogan for Donald Trump's campaign, something that is not even remotely close to being unique to Trump. Yet, people ralllied behind the slogan and it somehow morphed into this derogatory term for Trump supporters. Trust me, I get that there are people who  have really extreme and racist views that are "MAGA", but what I don't understand is why those people are the ones who got to define the slogan when that's really all it was to begin with. 

For Obama it was "Yes We Can". Or "Change".

For Bush it was......whatever Bush's was.

For Hillary it was "I really suck at this!".

Joking aside, I feel like Trump just heavily marketed the slogan and made some hats and then people sort of lost their minds with the whole "MAGA" thing, when in my opinion it was just a slogan/rallying cry for his presidential efforts like every other campaign that came before and that will come after his days as a presidential candidate are over. 

At the same time..... I'm not sure we should continue this discussion here. Seems we've wandered into the territory of derailing the thread, but I do enjoy the discussion on this. 

When the candidate does not or cannot define his slogan or buzzwords he leaves it to others to define it for them. Donald Trump has never actually put a vision behind the phrase “Make America Great Again” and as a resulted in a bunch of meaningless words that others put meaning to

Seriously, in his world, when was America great?and what, besides elect him and give him unlimited powers, has to happen to make it great again?

MAGA for Trumps opposition means a time when only white Christian straight men had full rights and power. It means a group of people who either follow him blindly, follow out of fear,, or follow because of the desire of power. The leader is more important than the ideas. His flaws, inconsistencies, and mistakes are ignored. MAGA means culture wars aimed at anyone different sociologically, culturally, ideologically from the faithful

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people - pally - 03-16-2024, 03:38 AM