Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
There is no way I want to rely on Brown to start. He has only played 600+ snaps once in the last 5 years.

He graded out super high last year, but remember the Pats were relatively run heavy. And he has usually been a high 60s/low 70s PFF guy most of his career. Not 80.2.

He has experience at LT & RT.

For me, he is a perfect swing tackle to act as a potential bridge starter if the OT you draft at #18 needs a little development (Mims, Guyton). If it is Fuaga or Latham, they probably start day 1 and you have excellent OT depth, which would be a new phenomenon here. You could even try Fuaga/Latham at G if you want.

I know we all have this fantasy about opening up the draft if RT is solved. And it is a good thing. But the reality is need drives most picks (Harrison would go #2 otherwise, or #1) and it is unlikely Bowers falls to us.

Further, it is a dead certainty one of the RT prospects fall to us (Latham, Fuaga, Mims, Guyton). We are 95% taking an OT. The issue is whether it is a plug & play guy (Latham or Fuaga) or a more inexperienced/raw guy (Mims/Guyton). If the former, we take them. If it is the latter? Then maybe trade downs, or another position (JPJ, CB, WR), or Bowers becomes more likely.

But I do not think WR is likely. We have Chase & Higgins. We drafted Yoshi & Jones last year. We have 2 TEs that are basically slot receivers. And it is a deep WR class. We can get slot help later (Pearsall, Wilson, Corly, McCaffery, MacMillan, etc).

CB is intriguing. But we are talking about depth at CB4. CTB, Turner, & Hilton will start. And it looks like Hill is moving to CB with Stone and Bell incoming at S. It is also a fairly deep CB class.

DT with Murphy or Newton was appealing before we gave Rankins $13 mil a year. Hill gets $10. DT3 at #18 seems like a luxury we cannot afford with the other holes. Way too high for Sweat.

JPJ to boost the IOL? Maybe. Trade down if Fuaga & Latham gone? Maybe. Bowers if he is there? Yeah, I could dig that. But it is unlikely he lasts.

Sit at #18.Take RT. Worry about NT, WR3, CB4 on Day 2 and in the rest of FA.

Brown + another solid FA signing or two (WR, CB, IOL, NT2, LB, P).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trent Brown meeting with the Bengals Tuesday - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024, 11:18 AM