Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-19-2024, 11:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Were you "willing to rely" on Reader being our starting NT? 

In December/January? Yes. Next year? Yes. 

Week 1? No. 

But that changes nothing. We could have signed Reader for the price of a Brown restructure & cutting Carman. And we have ample cap to do it without either, anyway.

The opportunity cost of the signing for 2023 was virtually nil. THAT is why is was so dumb not to do it. 

I mean, if signing Reader would have meant we had to release another contributor? That's different. But that isn't remotely the case. 

We'd be un exactly the same spot we are in now relative to Day 1 & cap, except we'd have Reader in the bag for later this year and next. 

Even if he cannot play AT ALL this year, I'd still do it. STILL a no-brainer. As I have said, the net  cap was was next to zero, we have the space anyway, and $12 mil in 2025 is a bargain.

The more one thinks about it, the dumber it gets. 

So you'd rather have an extra $1.6 mil in cap space this year than the possibility of a healthy Reader come PO time? That is what you, and our FO, said.

If we would have said, hey, we don't like these medicals, we are gonna pass? I can respect that decision. But we didn't. We MADE an offer. 

Ergo, the $5.8 this year & $12 next & $9 mil guaranteed was too steep for us. So, essentially we let him walk for the difference between their offer & ours. Which is basically nada if you do a restructure on Brown. Potentially less than nada. 

The combination of the two is borderline incompetent. Full stop.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trent Brown meeting with the Bengals Tuesday - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024, 01:06 PM